INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Milled blade?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Milled blade?
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I seem to recall seeing a thread on a knife that was cut out of some sort of stainless bar stock using a mill.  (Anyone have that link?  I can't seem to find it.)  I work for a manufacturing company that builds stainless pumps for the oil and natural gas industry, so we have several computerized mills and lathes.  My question is that once you cut out the blank and grind the edge, am I correct in thinking you'd have to heat treat to harden?  The big boss would like to make some knives as "executive gifts" for employees and customers so I told him I'd look into it.

I handle the computer network here at the office, so forgive my ignorance regarding steel types and hardness factors, etc.

Thanks,
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Milled blade?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
There has to some heat treat involved because you'll want to anneal it to do the cutting and milling. If you are going that route, you might think about one of the air hardening stainless materials but, again, you probably wont want to try to cut it while it's in a hardened state. If it comes annealed, you can farm out the heat treat from some of the folks offering that service and then you'll have to put the handles on. Better get started.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Don Robinson was a machinist for many years before he started knife making so he uses machine tools in most of his processes.  He has some videos and books that show how he sets up his mill for doing blades out of bar stock.  I don't think there's any of his info online available for free though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~donwrobinson/knifemakerssupplies/index.html

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Good info, as always.  Thanks guys.
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
In the front of the Blade 2011 Knives book there is an article on milling blades. In this article, as I recall, the frictional heat from the milling takes care of part of the heat treating process.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©