3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting Hawaii  (Read 345 times)

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting Hawaii
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Hey All ,
 I am getting to go to Hawaii in the middle of Feb and was wondering if any one could pass on info on hunting (probobly pigs), lic cost regs, is it worth it to take my bow etc.  I will be on the big island. I have a friend there that is getting me info too. We should have a good time and I wouldn't mind a first havest with my new Dalaa.
Any Tradgangers over there?  :archer:  

Thanks
Tom
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
Lota of goats on Hawaii too.  Do a search on here as there is a lot of info that is tucked away.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
SWT-Bob Munger wrote enthusiastically about hunting Hiwaii with Ed Bilderback; he said they had some of the best hunts of his life. I hear there's lots of goats, pigs, sheep, etc. Their game mangement dept. probably has a website that would give you all the specifics. I don't think I'd pass up the chance to hunt in Paradise. Good luck,
                                    Grant

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Howzit Tom, you got family hea! I'm on the Big Island.

When you headed over here? We're running a 3D shoot Feb. 23 on Mauna Kea. If you check the Tournements on Tradgang, I posted the info.

Unfortunetly I'll be busy until the 23. I have our 08 State PITA Trap Tournement to run and after dat, help da Hawaii Island Archery Club set up for the 3D shoot.

Let me know what kind of info you need and I'll try an get um out to you.

Hunting will vary, guided hunts---- plenty of animals; pigs, sheep, and goats. Do it yourself (me) you gotta do a fair amount of walking. You will see animals, but getting them might be another story.

If you go to you tube and look up Pohakuloa Hunting, you'll have some idea of Mauna Kea. Also check out rambushed, that hunter also posts from the Big Island.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the come back guys.

I am checking it out

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »
Tom, since it's too late to get your Hunter Ed exemption form from Hawaii, don't forget your Hunter Ed card, and it has to have a number on it signifying it is an "official" state card.  Bowhunter Ed doesn't count, has to be Hunter Ed.  On Moloka'i this past summer, our license was $105 each.  No tags required, at least on Moloka'i, only hunting license.  Been there twice and haven't even seen a pig yet...yet...just means I have to go back again, darn it. HA!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Checked out that you tube clip. Looks like a tough hunt, and a lot of fun.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
All this looks very interesting and...I will take a camera and bore you all with pics if it comes to be.

Thanks

Tom
  :bigsmyl:

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Howzit Tom,

Which part of the island you are planning to stay? I am on the east side--- da side with plenty of rain; windward. Right now it is dumping big time. Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa have a lot of snow. It looks like the snow is below the 8000 foot level.  Hunting might be good because most of the animals should be in the lower elevation.

Tomorrow Pohakuloa is open for hunting. The prime spot for me anyway is closed but other areas are open. Hunting  should be pretty interesting because last time I was up there--Dec. 24th, the ewes were about to give birth. The young should be making plenty of noise so hopefully they should be easier to locate.

I plan to go up after lunch tomorrow. Will let you know how things turn out.

I also got in touch with a couple of outfitters incase you want to do a guided hunt. Let me know and I'll get you the info.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
This is sounding and looking more interesting all the time!!  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©