INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shade Tree Me  (Read 460 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Shade Tree Me
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I was thinking about some of the things I do that are not "by the book" and was wondering what you guys have to do sometimes just to get the knife job done. For instance, I need some 1/8 bronze pins, but only need a pair once in a while and bronze gets expensive to order up enough for several knives just to sit there on the shelf waiting.

I have some 1/8 inch bronze plate, so I sliced off a couple of inches of it to make it 1/8 X 1/8 square. Then I carefully filed the corners and rounded it with a file. After that I drove it through a steel plate with a 1/8 inch hole.

This is just one of the make shift things I find myself doing to keep from ordering something or spending money. I have heard of this being sone in one form or another and thought I would try it. It worked.  

What are some things you guys do to get a knife made?
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shade Tree Me
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
im really guilty of using welding rod and brazing rod for pins
be it stainless -aluminun or brass
saves a trip to town
kevin

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with shade tree. I'm just wondering what a feller has to do sometimes to get it done. I make a lot of little jigs and plates and stuff that enable me to do some things that are a little different. Mostly, it's simple things based on something I read or dreamed up.

I got my pins that I mentioned above in the knife and it done this afternoon. I should have photos soon.

I'd like to hear more. Thanks Kevin.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I have not had to make many tools or gadgets yet, but I do have to make do with minimal equipment. I do know some of the gadgets and tools you have made and i will make my own versions as the need shows itself.

The tool you made for the silver domes was great.

I will make a plate for the integrals, where the handle transitions to the Ricasso, like you did.

Chris

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
I'm a bit like Chris on this one-haven't had to make a bunch of my own stuff tool wise yet.  I did try my hand at grinding an old file into a Sen (similar to a draw knife, just used for steel instead) and got some success.  Always nice to have stuff at hand for different portions of the work needing to be done.  I think that's one of the things about forging and knifemaking that I like-seeing the ingenuity and creativity of others come out in their projects.  Good thread, Lin.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Ever have a guard off the knife trying to hold it and work on it without dropping or damaging it? I just had to make this to work on a guard.

This is it assembled and holding a damascus guard

ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline allen newberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I like your guard holder!
Allen

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Lin, I seen that and had to make me one, sure helps. thanks
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
So I stepped up to the Shade tree yesterday.  I had a steel guard that had to be completed and on a bowie knife before Wednesday.  I don't have a mill, and I didn't have time to drill and file it.  I heated up the forge and fuller cut a piece of spring steel from a coil spring.  I forged it down to proper size, hardened it, and used it to punch the tang slot in the guard.  It took very little file work to get it to fit properly.  I believe this may just become my method for these type of guards.

Lin,  I am going to have to use that guard holder.  That is slick.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I have done the same thing Clay. Here is a guard in the making that I slit and drifted open to get a little more width on the outside. I did it while still attached to the main bar of 416.

Here is the guard on the finished knife. For perspective, the blade is 12 inches.

ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Guess this would be considered shade tree material.as you can see just made with stuff laying around shop.
After seeing some you your guys disc grinders and deciding it might help me in knife making purchased a disc grinder.
I wanted mine to work in different ways after seeing Karl's disc grinder,wanted it to be horizontal and vertical and totally movable and adjustable up and down.
Thought you guys might like to see my interpretation of that.Its basically mounted on steel with hinges.
I didn't take pics but it moves up and down on pipe inside square tubing.
It will also have a self for front of disc and few other attachments after I get them made.mayby some grey paint LOL
Forgot to mention its one that has remvable disc 3 of them flat ,1 degree bevel, and polishing disc.they stick on with magnets.
Here are some pictures

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©