INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Ging... I love my Beckers .... great value for money !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Buck Folding Hunter.

I can't live without mine!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Buck are very good for the money and #1 choice for American sprtmen,but you can buy something more personal if you make a research here on the knife forum,attention it is addicting!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Buck are very good for the money and #1 choice for American sprtmen,but you can buy something more personal if you make a research here on the knife forum,attention it is addicting!
My dad gave me that knife and it's been a good one.  I don't see another knife being more personal than it. lol!

Holds a razor edge.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Buck 110 is a great deal and just a all around good blade .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rusty Snuffers:
Thanks for the input, folks.  That swing blade looks pretty darn cool.  Does the handle feel better than it looks in the photos I've seen?  And how does it hold an edge?  I see it's made in the USA (Very Important IMO).

Anyone have experience with the Buck Omni Hunter or Vanguard?

As for my price range, I'd prefer to stay under $100 but again, if I'm spending more than that on something I can give to my kids, I don't have a problem spending a bit more.  And if I'm spending $50-60 on something I'll replace in a couple years, I'd rather not.   ;)  

Thanks again for all the input.
Rusty
A few years ago when I was living in New Jersey I used a broth-in-laws swing-blade and it did feel better then it looks and  it kept it's edge nicely. We skinned and butchered 2 deer with it and it was still good for another 1 or 2..

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I don't have a swing blade, but have used one.  They are excellent knives for the price.  I skinned a gater with one and it was still as sharp as ever.  I have skinned deer with them, nothing bigger but wouldn't have a problem tackling anything with the swingblade.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Great thread....The only thing I like better than bows....Knives! Some real nice ones shown and mentioned so far,all great tools!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
There are about 15 knives in my shop, but I have been using a Buck Omni Hunter for about 6 months.  Like it much.  3 1/8 blade, nice handle.  Not to big, not to small.  Nice belly to it, holds an edge, but easy to resharpen.  It will not break the bank.
Mel Riley

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I like sharp things also. The vanguard is a great knife (I own both the drop point and the guthook "Zipper" models). The rubber textured grip feels real good in my larger hands.

In your price range, also check out Helle. They make a excellent laminated blade that gets scary sharp and holds a edge. I had Skullworks (check out the blade forum) put a Helle together for me and it turned out real nice.

This site is blessed with quite a few quaility knife builders and bladesmith's. Take a look at the Knife and sponcer forums and see some of the knives these guys build. Prepare yourself to be blown away! I'm always on the hunt to add another of our fine bladesmiths wares to my collection. Get a idea of what you want talk to these guys and they will hook you up...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Besides traditional bows I've always had a "thing" for knives. Over the years I've had and used a hundred of them. I don't believe that there's one knife that will do it all, or maybe that's just my excuse for owning and carrying more than one. But if I had to choose only one knife it would probably  be my LaClair Skinner that I designed and had Blacksmith C.L. Matteo make for me.

Here's the link to the site.  
  http://shrewbows.com/laclair_skinner/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Man, I love this site.  Lots of folks with lots of experience makes for lots of information.

I checked out the sponsor links and there are so many talented bowyers and bladesmiths and craftsmen it's hard to keep my mouth from hanging open as I browse through the web pages.  My wife tells me I'm obsessed with tradgang.com and I think she's right.     :D  

Back to knives, I've been looking at drop points in the 3"-4" range and there seems to be about a million to choose from in prices ranging from $10 to $1000.  Thankfully, with help from you guys, I can make a more educated decision.

Thanks Gang!
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
GingivitisKahn, I have the same Becker 'Knife System'. Those Beckers are awesome knives.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Form follows function, but sometimes function is form...Here is my Autumn Hunter model. Note how the knife conforms to the hand no matter which field dressing position you are using. All of my knife models are as comfortable and secure to hold upside down as rightside up. That is why my knives have no finger grooves or sharp corners on the grip. The design features and premium heat treating are what you pay for with a custom knife. That and the pretty woods    :cool:   . Please excuse the dirty fingers, I just came in from the shop.   :o  

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I too am in awe of all the talent displayed here.
My next knife might be a helle. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they are not very expensive. I hear they stay sharp too.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I take two knives with me when I'm deer hunting. Always have this little neck knife...6-1/2" long with 3-1/2" blade.    and have been carrying this Gerber pocket knife a friend gave me for birthday.  

I don't like the saw part on the blade, but it gets sharpe as a razor as does the neck knife and both are easy to touch up.
They do what I need done...take what hide off I need to and bone out for packing out. Click on images for bigger pictures.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
My vote would be for the LaClair Skinner or that style of blade and size. Also, the price on that knife is very reasonable
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
If you want functionality, you have lots of options.  If you want beauty, you should look for something that pleases your eye.  If you want collectability, that's a whole nuther matter.

For me, my Buck Crosslock has served me well for a hunting knife.  It has a guthook and 3" drop point blade, sharpens pretty easily and keeps an edge for a good while.

For a camp knife, I like something more rugged and in a fixed blade, hanging on my hip in a sheath.  I've 3 of those.  A Holme Made drop point, a Doug Campbell damascus, and a knife I got in trade that is tougher than heck.

I also have a multi-tool in my pocket almost all the time.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you plan on cutting up.

Different knives for different jobs.

I guess for Deer you could use a buck skinner or Western.

For Elephants, well you may need a bowie.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
By the way, my response to your thread wasn't meant in a smart you know what way.  Wanted you to know that!  (Insert a thumbs up here!)

There are some beautiful knives displayed on here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©