INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
@Ringneck

That knife is gorgeous!  The shape is really nice and just seems to make sense when I look at it in your dirty hand.   ;)

Now I just need to figure out how to get my hands on one without the missus finding out what I spent on it....     :thumbsup:
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
i love my original buffalo skinner.
perfect size for everything i ever had to do in the field or the back yard

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rusty Snuffers:
@Ringneck

Now I just need to figure out how to get my hands on one without the missus finding out what I spent on it....      :thumbsup:  
Thank you! You just need to tell your wife that fathers day is coming up   ;)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
and you also need to make sure your brother-in-law is'nt looking at your thread !  
maybe we can get 2 together and I would be sworn to silence then !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by hogdancer:
and you also need to make sure your brother-in-law is'nt looking at your thread !  
maybe we can get 2 together and I would be sworn to silence then !
Rusty =    :knothead:

I won't tell if you don't.     :bigsmyl:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
For several years now I've been using a folding design by Tim Wegner at Bladetech. Check em out
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I really like my Helle Harding for all around hunting use.  

But, I end up carrying my Spyderco Bill Moran (same one as pics on page 1 of this post via Soilarch) the most just because it's so functional and easy to carry on my belt or in a pack.  I can field dress a deer or fillet out a turkey breast with ease with this knife.

If you really want total function for very little money, get a Mora Clipper for literally $12 or so..
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Rusty Helle knives have been mentioned but price is good.Rob Lee sent the dropoff from my riser when he made my bow and I made the handle with this drop point.

Very sharp and they have a wide selection of blades.Were in La.are you fromKip

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
That looks really nice Kip,
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Kip, that's some kinda fine!  Which blade is that?  I'm actually considering buying a blank and making my own grip.    :eek:   Scary thought, but it sounds fun and shouldn't cost too much, as long as I keep my fingers away from the business end.  I was considering the Helle Odel.

Fine bow you've got there, too, BTW!

Oh, and I'm in Hammond, LA.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Kip, that is cool!  What a matched set.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Rusty I think it was the Harding.Your brother-in-law is a killer as you well know.Thomas see you in about a month.Guys thanks for the kind words.Kip

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
For about $35, you can get either of these KaBar Becker neck knives (shown in varying stages of newness / customization).  As far as I'm concerned, this is the ideal size for cleaning deer.  Also use them all the time for ... whatever you need knives for.  I have larger knives and smaller but man, are these useful.

New (BK14 on left and BK11 on right)...

Unwrapped BK11 with freshly cleaned doe...

Wrapped and stripped (well - BK11 is stripped)...

Becker family picture. Thats a BK14, two BK11s, BK2 and BK9...

Can't go wrong with Becker.  By the way - if you want the perfect all-around camp knife, BK2 is (IMO) the answer.  It wouldn't be my top pick for cleaning game - though it obviously could - it's fantastic for general camp life.
I second that

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
One knife, no one can have just one knife.
Thats like expecting your VW bug to take the family to church on Sunday morning and then haul a livestock trailer in the afternoon.
That being said my favorite would be a Buck Crosslok with a 3" drop blade and a combo saw/guthook blade. Or a Outdoor Edge 3" folding skinner or a OE 5" folding filet knife or a ?????
Each knife has a specialty.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I just boughy a Gohrman #2 belt knife. Haven't used it yet but Ithink this may be my new #1. My old Case I have carried for 25 yrs is getting ready to retire (too many sharpings)
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I like knives and have used everything from a big fixed blade skinner to a keychain Victronix to field dress a deer.... I actually like a catttleman or trapper style pocket knife for most dressing chores...

For fixed blades i think a 3-3 1/2 in blade is plenty and it seems many folks on here do as well...

If I were to buy another knife for the pack it'd be a Boker trapper (I left one at a kill site a few years back and couldn't find it a week later...) I like the skinnier blades of a pocket knife for my dressing duties.. It seems the bigger the knife, the quicker I am to the dressing duties...

If I were hunting Elk or bigger, it'd be a different story...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks again for all the input, folks.  I decided to be brave and ordered a Helle blank, some striped ebony and a couple threaded pins.  Browsing the knife forum, there's quite a bit of info there including a nice pictorial by Lin Rhea that makes me think (foolishly?) that I might be able to make something nice for myself.  (not that it'll be anywhere NEAR as fine as Lin's work    :notworthy:   ) It'll likely take me a while but I'll be sure to post pics when I can.

Wish me luck!     :pray:  

Rusty

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
For several years now I've been using a Dozier K-16,Yukon Pro Skinner. It's got a 3 1/2" blade made of D-2 tool steel. Bob Dozier uses his own heat treatment process which makes for a scary sharp blade. It holds a great edge. After much use it still shaves hair. It also comes in a kydex horizontal sheath They can be bought from AG Russell knives for around $200.....DaveP

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I like the Swing-Blaze by Outdoor edge. It is two fixed knives on one blade that swivel in a orange handle. You can get the black handle (Swing-Blade) model also. I got the orange handle just because it is easy to keep track of, when you lay it down in the field. The one blade is for gutting and leg cuts and is different than the old "Gut Hook" the other is a utility blade for skinning and camp chores. Cost is around $60.00 and the blades really hold an edge. I have used mine on a large hog and a bull elk and it still kept it's edge. Light weight and a nylon sheath. A good value for the money.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I like my Buck woodsman (#102).  Nothing fancy, but a good all around knife and can be had for around $40.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©