INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread  (Read 5571 times)

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All-around knife? - Old resurrected thread
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
All around? Any good 3 blade stockman's knife.  Fits in the pocket, take it to work without drawing stares, $25 at any hardware store.  I'm carrying an American made Bear brand right now, but I've had many over the years--Schrade, Buck, Kabar, Camillus, Case.  I like blue steel over stainless because it's easier to sharpen and less likely to break in my experience.

Now, what do I carry for deer hunting?  It's a medium thick bladed, 3" neck knife just pointy enough to clean my fingernails or pick a splinter, and blue steel.  About $25 at most any western rendezvous. They have an antique look and a canoe stamped on the blade.  The guy that makes them is named Dean something or other.  He's great and has been around aa long time. You can spend a thousand dollars , but can't get a better knife for field dressing.
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
i like my drop point from cutco. holds an edge for a long time. don

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rusty Snuffers:
Thanks again for all the input, folks.  I decided to be brave and ordered a Helle blank, some striped ebony and a couple threaded pins.  Browsing the knife forum, there's quite a bit of info there including a nice pictorial by Lin Rhea that makes me think (foolishly?) that I might be able to make something nice for myself.  (not that it'll be anywhere NEAR as fine as Lin's work     :notworthy:    ) It'll likely take me a while but I'll be sure to post pics when I can.

Wish me luck!      :pray:    

Rusty
Awesome! That is something I have been wantingto do myself but time is a issue right now. I think when I have some spare time, I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'm sure just about every guy out there started the same way. Give it your best and let us see what you come up with. Which Helle blank did you go with?

Here's a little eye candy for ya. Top one is a custom drop point made by Bryan Baker from Boise. This guy is being compaired to Bob Loveless (not bad company to be in with...)

Bottom is a JRJ custom that mirrors my Randall 25-5. John is a world class bladesmith;

Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
JL,
those are awesome. My custom should be finished soon and ill post pics.

Everyday carry pocket knife is a Buck Cadet
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
I didn't read all the replies but for the money you can't beat a Mora.  For about 10 bucks you'll have a laminated blade that you can literally pound through other wood.  They come with a cheesy plastic sheath that will out perform any leather sheath hands down.  That said I don't own a mora but someday I'll get around to getting one.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
Ive always heard the praise of Mora knives, but was always sceptical. So i bought one and i must say i wouldnt recommend it to anyone who can sped more than 10$. It doesnt hold an edge as good as id like it to and is overall not my cup of tea.
That said, for rough work it might be fine, for fine cutting work i wouldnt want to use it.

Perhaps it is just me, no offence meant.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Wal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Cool knives JL, what is the scale material on the Baker ? Looks great, that knife would be a pretty close shape to the Loveless 4" too wouldn't it.

Cheers

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Knives come in all shapes and sizes, some practical and some not so practical.  Here's my latest acquisition I don't think you'd want to carry a knife like this on a deer hunt but it sure is beautiful. Here's the write up on the De la ronhe web site

This knife was created to replicate one recently found in Old Mexico, in the desert of Casas grandes, Chihuahua at the Hacienda de San Diego formerly owned by Don Luis Terrazas. The overall knife is approximately 14 inches long; the blade is 10 inches long with the unique double bolster handle which is 4" long and made of antiqued bone.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Now thats a good looking knife.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
JL,

I went with the Helle Harding blank after looking at several pics online and a couple comments in this thread from guys that have them.  I'll be sure to post pics of the process.  Luckily, I'm not easily embarrassed, so if it doesn't come out very good, I'll just try again.   ;)

Those two are beauties, by the way.   :thumbsup:

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
That is one awesome period knife Ron! Truely a work of art. You should do a current group shot of your blade collection Ron. Bet some jaws will be hittin the deck. We have simular taste and I love the stuff you get!

I'll post a pic of my Helle when I get a chance Rusty. Skullwork's built it for me and it may give you some ideas...

I own a couple of Bryan's knives. He has tweeked his design/grind a bit and I want to keep a running collection of his stuff. I really think he's flying way under the radar but he will get his due one day. He has some serious talent when it comes to blades...

JL

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Some really nice looking knives guys. I'll have me a cudtom knife made one day. Right now I carry a Gerber Gator Mate and it has always preformed well in whatever situation I need him for.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Here is the Helle Clarance twisted up for me...man, I love that knife...

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
2 from Duke Dudley at Virginia Blade....

Lightfoot I w/ sheath - $30

Lightfoot II Guthook w/ sheath - $35
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
The plan is laid out.  I'll post back in a year or two once it's been implemented.   ;)

The drawing is a general shape and right at 8 1/2" OAL.  I'm sure I'll tweak the proportions as I go.  I'll be playing around with some scrap wood before I try using the striped ebony.  The Helle Harding blade is very nice, BTW.  Thanks to all who suggested going with Helle.  I can't wait to see how it comes out... or maybe I can.    :D
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by JL:
Here is the Helle Clarance twisted up for me...man, I love that knife...

.... and if my own handle doesn't come out, I know at least ONE man to contact.  Very nice!

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Rusty, I have a couple of Helle Knives, one of them I even did myself, same model as yours from the look of it,   with osage and bloodwood, pretty easy to do, mine is very basic.
Good choice !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm a fan of the OLD Pumas or my D.H. Russell-Grohmann belt knife.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »

The most I've ever spent for a knife is $42.99.

I don't like the idea they are made in China (Browning) But ,It cuts and holds an edge, The Gut look knife was $19.95. I found it at Gander Mountain, As you can see it's a national brand. I was just looking for a gut hook and I did not want to pay $50 bucks. This came along and it looked just fine. They all hold a very good edge.
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
For years & years I used *only* a 110 Buck folder that my grandfather gave me - for everything!

Then in addition to the 110, I started carrying a Chicago Cutlery 106S that I made a sheath for.

Now on my extended elk hunts I also carry a fixed blade Gerber.

No matter what the blade, I have found that the key for me is in being able to restore/sharpen the blade to a razors edge as necessary....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©