INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: damascus knife blades  (Read 274 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
damascus knife blades
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Before I buy a damascus blade what do I need to know, Is there a wide range of quality?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: damascus knife blades
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
......Is there a wide range of quality?
Yep.

Learn all you can abut the source of the steel, the maker or company, and ask LOTS of questions.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: damascus knife blades
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I've never bought damascus barstock or knife blanks, but Robtattoo helped me understand something important a while back-there's no such thing as "cheap" damascus.  I would add to that, there's no such thing as GOOD cheap damascus.  That being said, I've seen some really cheap damascus steel knives, which made me wonder right away about the quality.  The more I understood what makers go through to come up with GOOD damascus, the more I understand why it should cost what it does.  The skill and mastery of the process, along with proper selection of good steels that will weld well AND heat treat well is worth the price.  It would really suck to buy some "so-so" damascus, get to grinding, then find bad welds or other flaws.  Worse would be poorly chosen steels that you get to final shape and when quenched, BAD things happen due to non-complimentary steels....

I'd go with what Karl said-get it from a good source who's known for good damascus.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©