3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do fix someone elses mistake?  (Read 338 times)

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
How do fix someone elses mistake?
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I recently purchased a 1957 Bear Kodiak that is in beautiful condition, except for a very poorly done job of applying snakeskins. I love shooting the bow but hate the look of those skins!

Any suggestions for removing the skins without damaging the bow itself. There is so much glue under these skins that they are actually wavy in some areas. Somehow I'm afraid I'm looking at a complete refinish job on a bow that wouldn't have needed it otherwise.
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: How do fix someone elses mistake?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Will probably need to finish at least the back of the bow.  Depends what kind of glue was used.  Generally, you can run a single edge razor blade under the skins to separate them from the limbs.  The blade will take off some glue, but not all.  If contact cement was used, you can probably clean it up/off with denatured alcohol.  The underlying finish should be OK, though perhaps a bit duller.  A coat of car wax would give it wome lustre.

Of course, if the person sanded the limbs before putting the skins on, they can be very dull and even scratched.  If that's the case, and'or if a harder glue was used, light sanding with 220, then 320 and probably 400, always with a sanding block, will prepare the surface for refinishing.  Then, something like a half dozen coats of hand rubbed birchwood casey gunstock finish will make it look like new.  I also use Helmsman satin spray urathane.  It's less shiny.  It may take a little elbow grease, but it's not a difficult job.  Good luck.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Your going to have to get them off before knowing about the finish.
I'd start with a single edged razor blade and work carfully to see if you can separate them.

If that doesn't work, sand any sealer that might be over the skins and try soaking with warm water to see they will loosen.
eventuall you should be able to get them off. then some light sanding to remove glue and some poly should work as a finish.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Hey CG thats a great bow there..I was going to post this on the other thread where someone asked about removeing snakeskins,not sure if this was the same thread....anywho I would pull as much skin off with my hands as possible.I like to use a really good sharp cabinet scraper.It will scrap the old skins and glue off pretty easy well pending on the glue,it may be a little work...But you wanta work slowly as to not scrap off the original finish and or silk screens.If you want to save them? (should be on the belly for 1957???)You should work from the riser to the limb tips to prevent snagging the fiberglass along the edges..bowdoc

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I guess the only way I'm gonna get this done is to get started.

(please don't screw this up, please don't screw this up, please don't screw this up!)
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©