INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Remembering Christmas Past  (Read 441 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Remembering Christmas Past
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
It was 2005 after I had purchased a Campbell Caper, I PM'd Doug asking for some help in learning to forge my own knife (before Hunting Knives and Crafters forum was created).  Heck I didn't know Doug except what I had read about his hunting escapades on Trad Gang.

FAST FORWARD:  I was going through an old box of unfinished blades.  Here's a picture of some that I made around Christmas of 2006.  I was pretty proud and even thought I was pretty good by now      :scared:      Anyway since I was now a "Bladesmith" with a year under my belt, I decided to start forging/testing my knives at the up coming 1st Annual Bear Quest in the spring of 2007.  The top blade was chosen as the best skinner that year.  

When I pulled it out, it was an abomination!  The edge was so thick it could have been a hatchet.  The plunge lines weren't even close to being even and the  finish...well lets don't even go there.  Rather than throw it back in the box I decided to see if five more years of experience could change it for the better.  After all it was the Best skinner of 2007     :)    

Here's my 2011 Christmas make over.  I think I'll take it to Bear Quest V just for giggles....tippit (who knows he is still a "Grasshopper Bladesmith")

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remembering Christmas Past
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Very Nice doc!...Have a great Holiday...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Hey from Sitka AK Doc, I remember all those email, phone calls and videos well. You may not realize it but I had as much fun as you watching you become the great Knifesmith you are today. I'm very proud of you grasshopper.  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
I always enjoy seeing stuff from Tippit.  I think you make great looking AND functional knives that would be completely at home riding on someones hip waiting to be called into action....

Merry Christmas.

Nalajr

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
All those knives look great!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
All those knives were made five years ago.  The reason for the post was more to say that it is fun sometimes to Re-visit some old blades that you gave up on.  Then try to improve them from what you've learned on the journey...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Pretty cool Doc.
I think this is a good time to thank you in public.
A few years ago Jeff won my St Jude custom sheath offering here on Trad Gang. He waited 3 years I think it was before sending a blade for that sheath. But he sent two blades instead of one and told me to pick one for myself.

Hows that for a class act, not only does he help the kids to start with but then sends one of his
much sought after blades to someone he's never even met or talked to.

I'm not going to post a picture of that blade just yet. I've got to wait a little while longer to do it full honors. I will say that it's seen good use on one big game animal and is a real keeper. Very controllable and a joy in the hand.
It's the right size and takes a edge that  just glides thru it's work.  :thumbsup:  

It's in my pack as I type this and will see work this winter as I follow the dogs on the trail of the longwalker, the American lion.

Thanks Jeff, you are indeed a fine bladesmith and I treasure the knife you sent me.  :notworthy:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
And I am thankful I have something from all three of you fine craftsmen.  I need to take a few pictures and show off this week!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I gotta say tippit I love the re-visit, and I really like the second blade profile in the pic up top, something just screaming  :scared:  for an Osage handle and some copper pins....LOL! I love looking at all your knives, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one yet that I wouldn't be proud to own or take into the woods with me.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Except for the top knife that I just re-ground, I have no idea where those knives are today...but I apologise to their owners for my poor edge geometry.  At least I never sold any of them.  Unfortunately hard to get much feed back upon a gift...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©