3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scott Koelzer  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
Scott Koelzer
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I was looking at the Silvertip brochure in Guru's
post and saw the picture of Scott Koelzer. Just
curious to know if anyone knows what became of him. I remember reading a couple of his articles in Bowhunter. one in particular "The Three month
bowhunt" was one of my all time favorites.

Paul J.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scott Koelzer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
He looks to still be shooting a Silvertip from the website:

http://www.schafersilvertipbows.com/testimonies.cfm?link=testimonies

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Paul, I remember that article very well, in my opinion, one of the best that ever appeared in the magazine.  If I recall, didn't he take several(@10+?) species of big game in that three months?   Seems like the article came out around 1979-80.   Maybe someone can fill us in.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
You're right, it is one of the best articles from the good old Bowhunter Magazines days. One of my favorites too, that's why I still have it. I just went to find it when I saw this post. It was in the Aug/Sept 1978 issue. And you know what? It still reads as good as the first time I saw it. It was written by Barry Wensel, being told by Scott Koelzer. He took nine animals(Shiras Moose,Grizzly Bear,Mountain Caribou,Elk,Mule Deer,Antelope,Alaska Moose,Black Bear and Whitetail Deer) in that span, with a Mountain lion tag yet to be filled. Great stuff.
   As for Scott, last I heard, he still lived in Bozeman, but that was awhile ago. I heard that he'd taken a serious(aren't they all?) fall from a treestand and got busted up pretty badly. Haven't heard a thing since, so maybe someone in Montana could contribute an update.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
Paul, Whe I hunted this fall with Peter Iacavazzi he spoke of Scott some.....he and his boys are giving all the critters in MT hell
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »
I read the 3 month bowhunt too, I also talked with Scott last year or maybe the year b4 at the Mt. bowhunters Convention but don't know what he is up to besides 6'8"

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the info!! Glad to see someone else enjoyed that article as much as me. He wrote one
a few years back that was also in Bowhunter. It
was about grizzly bear hunting. I sure wish I still had that one.
                            Paul

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
I wish he would write more, I enjoy his articles. His articles were more down to earth.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Heads up on my previous post, guys. I mistakenly stated that "Three month" was written by Barry Wensel, when actually it was written by Gene. Sorry about the misinformation.Another bit of info from that article is that at 6'8", he shot a 57" Savage Deathmaster recurve, pulling 68# at his draw length.

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I would like to know what became of that Deathmaster, I have one and would love another.
A great shooting bow with alot of history.

Paul

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
the original deathmaster made by Bob Savage was pretty popular here in Montana in the late 70's But then I think he started to get his bows from Jefferies and hand selected the ones he liked and sold them as deathmasters

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Howler,
      If you ever come across a Deathmaster that
someone would like to sell please let me know.

Paul

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
I hunted Mulies with Scott (briefly...as he killed a dandy buck on a dead run in the first hour of the hunt)two years ago.  I have known him for years.  He nearly died in his fall...jammed his femur up through his pelvis, into his gut.  He has one leg shorter than the other now.  Heck, he fell again a couple of years ago.  Read my lips...HARNESS!  I fell, too, and crushed two vertibrae.  HARNESS!

Scott is an incredible bowhunter...one of the best.  He is 6' 9"...or was before the fall and added years.  How he can stalk so well is beyond me.  He hunted with Paul Schafer for years.  He is also one of the most likeable people I know.  Heck, he even LIKES short people!

Too F. Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Paul J I won a Savage Deathmaster at an MBA banquet in the early 80's and I sold it to a friend of mine for I think 100 bucks, he still has it and I've tried to talk him out of it and he won't budge, I couldn't use it anymore anyway it was 75lbs at 28 there was a time but its lone gone.  But I wil talk to him again he probaly can't use it anymore either. And it was an orginal Bob Savage Deathmater.

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
howler,
       i would be in debt to you!!! I would not
      have a problem shooting that wieght if he
      would decide to sale. Thank you very much!!

Paul

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
I never met Scott, but I used to shoot with Jeff Koelzer in Billings in the 90's. If I remember correctly they are brothers. I remember hearing the story of the fall Scott took.  I am sure they are both still bowhunting.  Nothing could stop those two from stringing it up in the fall.
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Scott still lives in Three Forks MT, owns a masonry business that does a lot of work in Big Sky, and hunts any chance he gets.  I know he went on a Polar bear hunt last winter and was scheduled to go again this winter but I haven’t had a chance to talk with him lately.  I did see him talking with some of his employees earlier this week but didn’t have time to stop.

Walt
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
Talked about Koelzer with Bob Savage this evening. Bob taught Scott how to hunt and trap and fish when he was a kid. Scott later told Bob that Bob had taught him his life's greatest lessons.

Joe

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I saw Scott a couple weeks ago.He looks well,had been chasing lions all winter.I was also in bear camp with him and his son Brian,last May.Scott passed up a big 400# black.He didn't think the head looked big enough.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Scott is scheduled to be a guest speaker next year at the PBS Gathering in Cincinnati. You can listen to him on the MBA website  www.mtba.org  
He now walks with a bad limp but still gets it done. He killed one polar bear years ago so he must have gone back for another. He is one of the best and his son Brian is neck and neck with him.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©