3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Camo Question  (Read 647 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wool Camo Question
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Some of the Wool camo out there today, KOM, Columbia, Shrew longhunter, etc...  If you wash and dry these, will they shrink or does it depend on the materials/blend, ????

One columbia jacket I have says on the tag "dry clean any solvent".  what does that mean

I am a little ignorrent about wool.

Thanks alot
Jake

mods - feel free to delete if not on topic.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Camo Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
A lot of wool is dry clean only, but you can wash it just don't dry it. let it lay flat to dry.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Any wool will shrink if dried using heat....most wools will shrink just a little, or not at all, if gently washed in cold to lukewarm water. I have wool bicycle jerseys and merino wool clothes that I machine wash warm with no problem whatsoever, but I line dry. My family was in the drycleaning bus. long ago when everyone wore wool suits to work. If the customer ever knew how many suits we hand WASHED; their head's would explode. Washing is often the only way to remove some stains. I strongly recommend AGAINST Woolite. Do not use strong detergents as they tend to remove the natural oils in wool (lanolin, etc.) Detergents exist (Kookaburra wool wash) that purport to preserve the natural oils in wool. Dry clean "any solvent" refers to the fact that several solvents exist...I wash my wools, ymmv

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys, that helps alot.

Any other advice?

oops sorry -  pm sent
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
The Columbia stuff is recycled wool and is a mix. I washed (machine) and dried (machine w/heat) it and as near as I can tell experienced little or no shrinkage. Do not try that with other wool products!!

That said, I normally machine wash cold (delicate or wool setting) and hang dry my columbia wool pants and woolrich wool vest.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
I had a pair of woolrich camwoolflauge pants I machine washed in cold water and line dried. They are now camoflauge knickers.... fortunately I tuck them into my  knee highs anyways...

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
I intentionally bought an xl KOM bowmans jacket and washed/dried in std washer and dryer. I dried on low heat and not all of the way. I then blocked it a touch. The large jacket too small, the xl too large, but my version, just right. Also, I have hunted in several downpours without getting wet. One problem with drying is that you don't want some "panels" of material to shrink more than others, so it can be a bit of a gamble.  Using solvents doesn't make sense for scent prevention. I would advise against washing woolens w/out a label "allowing" it.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
I've always washed my Filson cruisers and vests even though Filson specifically says not to.  My logic has always been that if I am out in the weather and have gotten the garment soaked, what is the difference between that and washing carefully in cool water and blocking out to dry.  I've never had a shrinkage problem by doing it that way.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
I washed the Johnson's wool hunting jacket that my mother gave to me for Christmas (before she died) and it shrunk!!!!! I was heartbroke!!!!!

Now I buy "earth toned" 100% wool sweaters from the GoodWill store for about $3-$5.

I cover them with a 2X-3X long sleeve camo T-shirt.

"cheap" AND effective!!!!!    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
What is the "blocking" term you are refering to?  I thought that was a dry cleaners process, is there a way to do it at home??

Jake
TGMM

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
I wash my wool clothing...but like they said before, keep it out of the dryer.

[FWIW] I clean all my leather clothing and moccasins the same way...I know.    :scared:
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I wash my wool at home in the gentle cycle, cool temp, with a small amount of non-scent detergent that is made for wool.  I dry them on branches on trees in the yard or even a clothes line.  THE KEY:  periodically check the clothes as they dry and GENTLY stretch them back to shape each time you check them (ususally 4-6 x for me).  I actually stretch the arms lengths, body length, width, etc.  Though I am typically wear xxl 6'4" 215#- I have never lost a size with this.  I wear a lot of wool too!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
We have a state of the art new washer. All my Woolrich wool shirts and pants go in there HAND WASH cycle with woolite. Take out and I put them on a rack in the family room  until they dry.Or hang outside if it's not too cold.  No problems at all. They  even say on them dry clean only.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Honestly haven't felt a need to wash my wool outerwear.  I have SI bibs and pullovers and anoraks and have used them for oh...6 or 7 years.  Wool does not retain scent like other materials.  Mud,dirt etc...when it dries, I just shake it or brush it off.  During hunting season it hangs outside to get "aired" out and in the off season I store it in plastic bags.

Be careful of dry cleaning.  The harsh chemicals will remove the natural oils in quality wool garments.
Otto

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Over&Under:

KSdan explains what "Blocking" is a couple posts below yours. Blocking is just the act of periodically stretching a wool garment as it dries to help it maintain its shape and size.

One thing nice about quality wool is that it really does not need to be cleaned all that often- maybe once every several years.

When I do wash my woolens, I'll wash them in late spring or during the fall when the outside temperature best facilitates a slow drying process. I've always been able to wash my Filson garments in the washer on the delicate cycle in cold water. I use no detergents whatsoever. I'll then take them outside and drape them over limbs of an evergreen to dry, being sure to block them at frequent intervals. I've used this same procedure for years and never had an issue with shrinkage.

Cold water wash by hand or delicate cycle. Allow them to dry slowly at mild, balmy temps; block them frequently, and you should be golden.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Labs4me -

I was wondering if thats what he was referring to...

Thanks for clearing that up for me, one thing I always like about your posts, very easy to read and understand.

I will keep that process in mind.

Thanks

jake
TGMM

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Guys- the only question I have for some of you is the idea that your clothes do not have odor.  Maybe not to you!  :D  

Seriosuly though- every time a human takes a step they shed thousands of dead skin cells.  This is what animals track on the ground.  The thought of hundreds of thousands of dead skin cells collecting in my woolens makes me quiver.   :scared:

I wash them a few times each season. . .

I have been wrong thinking before- but the skin cells and odor is a fact.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I have several items of clothing by C.C. Filson, I dry clean them. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
God point dan, I do not have enough experience with wool to know how it reacts to odor.
TGMM

Offline WoodsmanPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a set of Pendelton wools for 4 years now, wash them all the time, hang dry, no trouble shrinking.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©