INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: quenching oil mcmaster carr  (Read 968 times)

Offline jackie

• Trad Bowhunter
quenching oil mcmaster carr
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
i see they have two quenching oils a 28 sec and a 11 sec oil . is either one of these oils good enough for 1095 steel. does 28 sec  or 11 sec mean it will take that long to cool the steel  thank you .

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quenching oil mcmaster carr
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Maybe this will help:

Oils are generally classified by their ability to transfer heat as fast, medium or slow “speed” oils (Table 2). Fast (8-10 second) oils are used for low hardenability alloys, carburized and carbonitrided parts, and large cross-sections that require high cooling rates to produce maximum properties. Medium (11-14 second) oils are typically used to quench medium- to high-hardenability steels. Slow (15-20 second) oils are used where hardenability of a steel is high enough to compensate for the slow cooling aspects of this medium [2].

So, since you are referring to 1095, which is a shallow hardening steel, or "low hardenability" steel, the 8-10 second 'fast' oil would work well.
Don't forget that for a quench oil to do its job correctly, the steel must first be sufficiently converted to austenite at a somewhat controlled temp to be converted to martensite with the quench.

Those 'seconds' are referring to the oil's ability to extract temperature at a rate that will lower the steel's temp from XXX # of degrees to YYY # of degrees in a given amount of time.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quenching oil mcmaster carr
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
There is truly fascinating information here if one can chew through it.

http://www.industrialheating.com/Articles/Online_Exclusives/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000001021860
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©