INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: help from you knife guys  (Read 609 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
help from you knife guys
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I am looking for a knife like the one Fred Eclier wears on the front of his belt its horazonial instead of vertical. I would rather have a costom (home made) knife like the one he has instead of a store bought one. Could ya'll show me some pics that you may have and tell me how much it might cost. I really want one of this knifes also could I get one that has a 4 or 4  1/2" blade thanks Mike

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help from you knife guys
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Mike-
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want, so you're halfway there  :) .  There are some great makers on here that I'm sure will be able to help you out.  One thing you might try is look up some of the sponsors and do some searches.  A lot of guys have posted pics of their work-take a look at them and see if any of their particular styles jump out at you and contact them.  Also, do you know if you want a stainless, simple carbon, damascus, or San Mai steel blade?  Some makers are more familiar with some of those steels, and it will also affect price points.

Hope you're able to find something that suits you.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Hey Mike you might be better off browsing posts here and finding a maker who's knife you like and contacting them.  The point of this forum isn't for makers to sell their work but rather to share information and help newer makers by answering questions.

It does sound like you know what you want and being able to communicate that to a maker is going to be a big plus.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I concur with Barry. The guys who frequent this forum would like to help, but in this context, also want to follow the rules. Glad to see you here rezeen6.5.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
It sounds to me like what you are more interested in is the sheath style- which is called a 'crossdraw'.

Then it would be easy to select a maker.

Doug Campbell has been making cross draw sheaths forever...it's likely many others do as well, but Doug's just comes to mind for me specifically because I've bought two of them with his little caper knife as gifts for a close friend and his son...and you have a good eye...that style of sheath is great for us because a right hander can wear it on the left side and just reach 'across' to get it out...pretty sweet.

Check Doug's posts on here and see if I am right about what you are looking for...then as Barry and Lin said, find a maker you like and speak to them directly about what you want.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Perhaps a pictue of what you want would help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©