3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus Bullhead and Trad Bows  (Read 1139 times)

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Magnus Bullhead and Trad Bows
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just ordered some of the new Magnus Bullheads from Cabelas, they look awesome.  Was wondering if any of you have had experience using the guillotine style broadhead on turkeys with a trad bow.  I am shooting a 65 lb DAS Kinetic.  I figure if they don't work for turkeys they would be good for wingshooting geese.,

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus Bullhead and Trad Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
I think these heads are really cool and am interested in trying them.  

But what I don't like about them is the size for transporting purposes.  To me they are (close to) unsafe to carry and some of the makeshift quivers are cumbersome at best.    I wish they would have had some sort of "take down" ability.  I am talking something more like an umbrella where you could lock the blades open (when hunting) or closed (when transporting).    Without that the magnus doesn't seem like a big improvement over the guillotine.

Let us know how they fly.

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
It is miles above the guillotine. You don't have to use those stupid blade covers to get good arrow flight. They were formed because of a peeing match between guillotine and the Double Bull guys. My understanding is that the Bullhead was primarily designed by Brooks and Keith because they were unsatisfied with the flight characteristics of the Guillotine and thought it could be improved. Brooks used the same design for the head as his hubs in his blind and adjusted the angle of the blades for better flight. I haven't tried them but was told by one of his prostaff that Brooks took the Trad guys need for a BH in mind when designing these. I personally got the guillotine to work at short distances(10-15 yrds)with my 65# BW but was afraid to try them at longer ranges because the arrow was significantly slowed down due to design. I'll be trying some this spring, you can count on that. I've actually been looking forward to it since I learned of them late last spring. Good Luck and I hope this helped.....DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I'am going to give them a try this spring.  I can't wait.  The blaid design looks great and I bet they fly good.  They sure look like they will put a judo chop on Mr. Gobbles.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Bet they won't shoot thru a window screen  :D  Should be devastating on the birds.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I asked Mike if he could make a few with steel heads so they would end up at 250g...no dice.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Look ok for head shooting gobblers....but I wouldn't use them for "wingshooting geese".....these are made for head shots. Geese are very tough and unless there hit in the head/neck....you'll be better off with broadheads......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I'm probablly wrong,but I thought the bullhead came in two sizes one for head shots and one for body shots.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
I think they do come in two sizes. 100's and 125's, but I don't think they were designed for body shots. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the benefit of shooting a turkey in the body with a head like that.  I would stick to head and neck shots with the bullhead.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I wonder if the Bullhead will carry the lifetime warranty as well?  I believe I might have to try these!!!

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/bullhead.html
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
How much are these heads going for? I didn't see a price on the site.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
BMoeller - At cabelas they are about $40 for three.   Extra blades are about $20.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I was told they are designed to be shot w/ right wing fletch out of the box, but you can move the blade for LW fletch.  Thats good thinking from the boys at Magnus.

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Bullheads are NOT intended for body shots! Head and Neck only, fellas.
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Ned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
I just saw their video and wing butt shots were devastating.

Offline Ned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/bullhead.html

100 grain for head and body. Do they shoot these through the netting?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Ned,

They are NOT going to shoot thru any netting.  The actual point on them is a pretty dull bullet nose.

When doing some bareshafting last weekend, I found my uncut Beman MFX 340s flew great with 125g heads.  I have everything set up with these at 30" for 250g Wensel Woodsman and 260g Snuffers.

So, I ordered a pack of 125g Bullheads and finally got to shoot them this morning...PERFECT!

I am really looking forward to trying these out this year.  NOT tracking a turkey has a lot of appeal in my mind.  Cross your fingers that I can report back the results starting April 1 in Kansas.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
I've used the guillotine before with good results from my 50# Crow Creek bow but the challenge was transporting them.  I looked at the Magnus a couple days ago and they look like an improvement.  How are you guys transporting them to and from the field?  Last season I carried the guillotines in a tupperware container and assembled them in the blind.  I'm amazed that I didn't slice a finger open doing so in the dark!

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
I bought a pack on ****.  They were set up for RW but are easily adjusted with a small screwdriver.  Now that I've switched to RW Rayzer feathers I have to switch them back.  But I did test them with my layered foam target as recommended and they were spot on at 15 yards.  I have 100 grain inserts and will be testing with and without the added weight just to find the better arrow flight.  But so far, so good and according to the web sight they also fall under the Lifetime Warranty.  Each pack also comes with 3 spare blades.
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
So far, this is my carry system   ;)  .  All 3 are inside with their own layer of foam.  Quiet, safe and secure.  

I will continue to look for something better   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©