INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Metal Source?  (Read 555 times)

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Metal Source?
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
I am sure this has been asked on here before but I did not find the information that I need.  I am new to knife making and have one knife that I made from a sawblade. I am looking for a good source to buy 1095 carbon steel.  I have seen the knife blanks on many knife maker websites but I want to shape my own knife by stock removal.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Metal Source?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
If you're interested in some A-2 blanks approx. 8" x 5" x .125" thick let me know!
e-mail:  [email protected]

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Aldo the NJ steel baron or Kelly Cupples.  They are two of the main suppliers to the knife smith and makers industry.   I would strongly reccomend 1080 or 1084 in place of 1095.  1095 requires exact temperatures for extended soak times to get a good heat treat.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I have also bought steel from Jantz knife supply. If you are buying small quantities of steel along with other knife making supplies they may be a good fit and you could save some shipping costs. Now I use Aldo, NJ Sttel Baron for my steel.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I get mine from admiral steel. They have carbon steel as well as stainless and even damacus. Might as well buy a couple of pieces because shipping is a killer but you can make a lot of knives from 10 feet of steel!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Bodork,  

How has your steel been from Admiral.  I bought one batch that was horrible.  It was alloy banded very heavily and I have never bought there again.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©