INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Micarta handle ?'s  (Read 669 times)

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
Micarta handle ?'s
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:00 AM »
I have a bow being made currently by Bob Lee Bows and the riser is micarta. I have some of the micarta for my project. I want a couple of knives to match my bow riser. I am going to go get a small skinner tomorrow to re-handle for an armguard knife. I will be making the armguard as well. I will also be doing a belt knife as well. The questions I have is how should I secure the handles? Also what is the best way to finish out the micarta for a nice smooth finish that will show off the micarta? Thanks in advance for your help!
B

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Micarta handle ?'s
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
a good two part epoxy will hold the scales on but I prefer some kind of mechnical fastener like pins or corby bolts.  Hand sand it up to as high as you want to go I like to take it to 400.  then buff to make it shine.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Wear a respirator when doing any sanding, drilling, grinding, or file work on micarta.   It is seriously bad for your lungs.  Not a paper mask, a respirator rated for handling
Fumes.  

Sand to 800 and then lightly polish with Flitz  or pink superfine polish.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm thinking at first I may just try the epoxy. I dont have knowledge on pins and such. Any certain kind of epoxy or just any good 2 part?
B

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Devcon 2 ton 2 part epoxy is good. I've heard of people having trouble with LocTite Epoxy. I use West SystemMarine Epoxy. Look forward to some pics!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
In general the slowest setting and slowest curing epoxies are the most durable. Be careful to not overheat your blade and handle material when shaping your handle. Make sure you thoroughly mix both parts, keep everything very clean and have plenty of acetone soaked paper towel and q-tips at the ready.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I would avoid using just an epoxy to hold the micarta on the knife.  I will second the marine epoxy listed above or Acraglass from Brownells.  I would definately either pin use some type of fastener to keep the handle on as well.  Any epoxy can fail if the handle is hit hard enough.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I'll look and see if I can find one of those epoxies. I have a limited time to do this. So that is the trouble with using pins too. I dont know anything about how to pin a handle on, and dont have time to get the stuff to do that. I might could go back and drill/pin it later. I need this done in about a week amd a half. I just found the knife yesterday. So I'm really cramped for time.
B

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Pins are easy.  3/16" round stock of what ever you want to use.  I buy the 2 or 3' SS rods at one of the local big box stores and a 3/16" drill bit.  I usually mark the outline on both scales then band saw them pretty close.  Then clap one scale to blade and drill out one of the pin holes.  Insert pin in the hole, reclamp and drill another hole.  Do this on both sides. Then pin the scales together and finish the front toward the ricasso.  Then you can epoxy them on with the pins.  One thing about trying to drill out a pin hole after the scales are on is that if the tang is too hard for the drill bit you are using you will hose it up!  So do it right the first time and use pins from the start.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
That's a lot easier than I thought it would be. I guess I'll pin it after all. I figured it would take some special equipment.
B

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
That's a lot easier than I thought it would be. I guess I'll pin it after all. I figured it would take some special equipment.
B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©