3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad hunting, I'm not to sure now....  (Read 6618 times)

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad hunting, I'm not to sure now....
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
Want to switch to Trad hunting from compound. It sounds fun, relaxing. Not without work or practice,just simple. I have been reading G. Freds books on trad shooting and find myself not to sure on this Trad thing. I realize that everthing takes practice to get good at. G Fred's books make it seem like that if you have a job and family that there is now way one can become good at hunting Trad. I am confused on gettin a trad bow and givin it a try.  I want to hunt humanely, quick kills. I dont know if i will have enough time to practice. Thanks for lettin me babble. Need some wisdom from the site.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad hunting, I'm not to sure now....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
buddha..I think most of us on this site have jobs and families and we seem to do alright. Pick up a used recurve bow and fling some. You'll know if it's for you in short order.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
If you haven't got the time, how did you get good with the compound?

If you're a reasonabe shot with the wheels you'll have decent form & that's half the battle! Practice when you can & enjoy it.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
Since you live in Mich you might head to the traditional rendezvous in Kalamazoo the usually takes place in January at the fair grounds. You will be able to shoot lots of bows, talk to lots of great guys/gals and perhaps you will be able to answer the call to traditional bow hunting.
Make a life, not a living

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
You won't know, if you don't give it a try  :bigsmyl:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »
buddha...Don't sell yourself short just yet!...G.Freds book is a good one but I think you should read some other ones also...

"Instinctive Archery Insights".....Jay Kidwell,Ph.D
"The Traditional Way"......Fred Anderson
"Timeless Bowhunting ~ the Art, the Science, the Spirit"......Roy S. Marlow

Find yourself a "good teacher" of trad archery...Understand that some people could be great shots but are unable to coach a newbee...

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard! .....mike.....
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
I work full time, go to school full time, am as good as maried, paint part time, and still find time to shoot and hunt, am I any good, no, but man is it fun. I do live in a place were I can shoot in my back yard, I have a 3d range about 2 blocks away from my house and can be in my stand in 20min after work, all that realy helps.

If it for you you will know, and you will make time for it.

Good luck what ever way you go

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Why the pressure to hunt? If you are worried about accuracy and its impact on game animals, as we all are, then just use the simple bows for fun and targets. If it gets under your skin and takes root, then you may just put down the compound for good. I for one, won't think the less of you if you don't, though, and continue to use the compound to make meat.

The trad shoots  are  a blast! At least treat yourself to some summer fun.   :thumbsup:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
I think some folks put too much into shooting a trad bow. Have you ever watched a little kid shoot a bow. It is totally instinctive. Kids are lucky because they don't think about what they are doing, they just do it...and have fun with it.
   If you can go to Kalamazoo or any other trad gathering or trade show, do so. Shoot as many bows as you can and talk to as many folks as you can. Try to find yourself an inexpensive bow and start shooting. Learn the basics and work on your form and before you know it you'll be shooting like a champ.
   I usually try to shoot every day. When I get home from work, I change my cloths, pick up my bow and quiver and go out and shoot...even if it's only a few arrows. I keep my bows and quiver in plane site so I remember to shoot. If it's stuck in a closet or out of site it's easy to forget to shoot.   Have fun and enjoy!!!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
My freinds and I all have jobs and families, and we all shoot and hunt trad.
Go for it, and like Killdeer said use your compound if you don't feel confident.
"My health is best in October"

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
definatly go for it.  when i started, i got a bow in the late summer and felt comfortable enought to hunt that fall.  i knew i had limitations, but i was happy to get that far having never really shot a bow.  no one taught me form, i just read a little bit on the internet and figured it out on my own.  i had a full time job and really only shot maybe an hour a night, if that.
live and die by shades of grey

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
Groundstalker is right, don't lock yourself into one shooting style until you've tried several ways to shoot. Some of the  "most famous"  methods can lead you down the wrong path.

Try this---take the sights off your compound and shoot it for a few weeks, THEN pick up a traditional bow and shoot it EXACTLY the same way. You''ll be amazed at how well you shoot. The dirty little secret is that most snap shooters are generally medicocre shots at best. A very few, like G. Fred, are great at it. Most people shoot much better when they draw, AIM momentarily, and then shoot.

If you can shoot well with your compound at 15 yards without sights, you'll do equally well with a longbow or recurve. While you are learning to shoot traditional bows, remember that longer bows are more accurate until you get really good. Actually, they are probably more accurate even then.

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
Buddha, Get yourself a good used bow and give it a try. Then if you find its not for you, you can sell the bow. That way all you'll be out is a little time.

I've been shooting traditional for 3 months now and  practice 10 minutes here and there when I have time. With that I have already improved greatly. So jump in and give it a shot.
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
If you enjoy shooting a bow enough to consider a trad bow you *must* give it a try !  You may still use the compound for hunting....no one cares. That's fine and good too !
Point being once you dive in and accept the challenge of trad shooting, I don't think you'll give up so easy.    ;)  

I've found my best tune-up tool/practice method is shooting at a target bag in the garage a couple nights a week.....at 15 feet. I work a more than full-time job, have two young children and a supportive wife.  Your mileage may vary, but I sure enjoy shooting trad bows. The hunting is just icing on the cake really.

You have nothing to lose. Shooting a recurve without sights will make you a better compound shooter anyway. Trust me on that.

Go for it !     :thumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »
I teach language arts (lots of papers to check), I am the middle school athletic director (lots of after school activities), I am taking graduate classes online (lots of work!), I shoot my bow in my driveway for a few minutes a day (most days), and I took my first deer with my longbow this fall. Practice when you can. I enjoy the practice as much as hunting...well, almost. It is a great tension reliever.

Find a good used bow, preferably of under 50 pounds (remember, there is no let-off) and give it a try. You won't be sorry.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 12:42:00 AM »
Don't listen to or read a word Asbel says, he will screw you up.  The guy thinks his word is the know all end all of stickbow shooting.  As some mentioned there are other, better authors/experts out there if you feel the need to read.

Get a decent used low poundage bow and figure out your own style.  If your planning on shooting true instinctive, both eyes open concentrating on your target only don't worry about eye dominance, it don't matter.  If your a right handed shooter now shoot a right handed bow.

Speaking for myself I'm a snap shooter and I do well.  Can't hit a thing if I intentionally aim, hold for a second then release.  It just don't work for me.  Also don't think you need to pratice all the time.  I actually shoot better if I only pratice one to two times a week for a half hour or so, and not every week of the year either.  During the Spring and Summer months I may touch the bow maybe once a month opting to be with my daughter on a reservior kayaking, riding one of my motorcycles or target shooting with my MZ's instead.

Just remember it doesn't have to be all about the bow if your shooting a stickbow, there is more to life.  Enjoy it all.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »
The best way I have found to explain it  is by using a baseball analogy.

The first time you went out and threw a baseball, the ball travelled a few feet and fell to the ground, next time the ball went a little farther and straighter. I don't know  much about baseball, but I've  never seen one with sights  attached   :)    Most folks can still go out and play pitch and catch, even if they haven't thrown a ball in awhile. Like riding a bicycle it comes back to them very quickly.

The same is true with shooting recurve and longbows. The first few times will not be pretty, but soon your brain (subconcious) will start to calculate trajectory,speed, ect... and you'll begin to hit the target.

It's easy to over think the whole thing, just have fun    :)       :)       :)
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
"G Fred's books make it seem like that if you have a job and family that there is now way one can become good at hunting Trad."

Huh? How do you get that? Most everyone on here has a job, family, tons of obligations.

Traditional archery is no different than golf, or any other individual skill sport. Work at it a little, and if it continues to appeal to you, you will do better. I think some folks confuse the choice of traditional archery with an equipment change/purchase. It's not that simple. It's a mindset change. If you don't feel it, don't feel obligated to do it.

Mike C - why the harsh words about Fred Asbell? He is one of the true gentlemen of our sport. Just because his style is different than yours, no need to bash him. He DOES NOT think his advice is the "end all" as you put it. I don't shoot anything like Fred at all, but I learn something everytime I re-read one of his books.

When giving advice, you would do better by just giving the advice, rather than bash someone else.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
I taught myself to shoot by reading G. Fred's books.  I don't shoot like Fred either but his books helped me tremendously.  His aren't the only books to read either.  Borrow/Steal/Buy as many as you can.  Ferguson, Tidwell.  There's a ton of stuff out there.  Look at as much as you can and experiment.  What doesn't work for others may work for you and you'll hitting where you want.
Otto

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
Hey Buddha...Try to follow what I'm pointing out...please...

ALL trad gear users use the same BASIC technique:
Hold the bow...Draw...Shoot...Simple...

After learning to keep your arrow from falling off the rest when drawing... :rolleyes: ... it becomes an "individual kinda thing"...Get It?

You can't read only ONE book cause that authors style may not work for you...Then all the books won't help you learn if you don't shoot and put into practice what was written...That's why I mentioned those three books...

Seems like alot to learn. Can't do it all at once. Yea it's gonna be fun and cool and great for hunting etc...Get out to a trad shoot and I bet some shooters will trip over themselves to help you out! Trad people are like that.

Dig This...Eight years ago I bought G.Fred Asbells video and in viewing it heard G.Fred say..."Shooting a bow is one of the joys of life for me. Maybe it would be the same for you someday."...First I thought this guy had a screw loose someplace...But he was RIGHT! I may not agree with his shooting style but I LOVE TRADITIONAL ARCHERY! And I'll bet you will too... :) ...

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©