3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad hunting, I'm not to sure now....  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad hunting, I'm not to sure now....
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Buddha, I hear so many people say they would love to start shooting trad bows, but dont have the "time" needed to practice. That is the easiest thing to overcome. Haveing a yard you can shoot in is a plus. I lot of times I may not have "time" fora practice session, as the lawn needs mowing ,the trash has to go out to the road, etc. If I'm in an out of the house, or working in the yard, I just lean my bow by the door with 3 arrows and my glove. On my way from point A to Point B, I shoot 1 or 2 shots. Then a little while later, I have to get the gas can out of the shed, I shoot a couple more.

I also have a bag target in the basement. I go down to dump some corn in the stove, I shoot a couple shots. Only about 5-6 yards, but perfect for form practice. When I lived in a small house with no basement, I kept the bag in the breezeway and shot from the kitchen or living room. ( yes, I was single at the time LOL).

You dont need to schedule long practice sessions.
Where in Mich are you? Michigan has lots of MBH affiliate clubs that host monthly 3D shoots, and indoor winter leagues.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
If you already shoot a bow it should not take long to pick it up.A bow is just a bow and they work alike.Use the same form with the new bow as you do now and go shoot it.Start with a lot lighter weight and it will makes things easier and quicker.The biggest problem people have when making the switch is thinking they have to do things different.You don't. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
I love GFred the story teller, his shooting methods just aint for me...that swing draw method will get ya busted everytime...ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT...may be in order...dont whip yourself before ya start. Find some guys, group or club , different from whom you hang with now...make sure youre bow and arrows are matched...and if ya really want to learn how to shoot , sign up for one of Rick Welch shooting clinic's, when ur serious...trad aint for everybody...ask yourself the question what does trad mean to you , what do I want...not saying this is you, but usually when I here this...some guys are over bowed, form  needs help, they develope TP of some sort, ...and they just give up ...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »
What weight did you guys start at? Thanks for all the replys so far.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
something you can hold...for 10 seconds, at anchor...develope good form...then move up..42 pounds...would work...I dont know ya..so...try that..good luck... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Buddha, what weight compound do you shoot?

Without knowing anything about you, assuming you are an adult mae of average strength, I would say 45 to 50 pounds.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
I shoot a 60# compound. A 1999 Hoyt Aspen. 41yrs old male. Wood bow or Metal bow to start with? I remember reading here in another thread that the metal bows are easier to tune? Thanks again for all the feedback, this is very helpful.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
I don't know about metal bows being easier to tune...could be.

Find yourself a 45# - 50# recurve, you will do fine, and can use it to hunt with eventually. Where at in Michigan are you? I am in Canton, would be glad to give you a hand.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »
Buddha,

There were many reasons for my decision to switch from shooting a compound to shooting Traditional equipment.  So... I just simply grabbed the first Recurve I could (an old "Bear",) and started shooting. (Not too mention spending a lot of time on this, as well as several other Traditional Archery forums.)  

I was shooting a 70# compound at the time... and the 52# Bear "Tigercat" seemed almost too much to pull... but it was the only recurve I had... and so I went with it.  (I'm now very comfortable pulling 53# )

Within about 1 month... I began to realize that Traditional equipment is much more versatile than a compound!  I found that it was very easy for me to shoot MORE, simply because I could do more with the Recurve.  

Now, think about it... There is a "Complex shot sequence" when shooting a compound.  You have one draw length... you're gonna pull that bow back to "The Wall" and fire it out there at speeds close to 300 fps.  The fact of the matter is that you better be aiming at some sort of established target (like bails) or you will be destroying arrows left and right.

With my Recurve... the shot sequence isn't as complex... Yes... It is slower... but it is still JUST as deadly!  I can basically shoot at ANYTHING!!!  (except rocks!   :p   )  I can snap shoot... lay on my belly and shoot, I can shoot at aerial targets.  And the tips... heck!... the assortment of tips and broadheads are virtually ENDLESS!  

I SHOOT MORE, BECAUSE I CAN DO MORE!!!!!

I work for the Railroad and am on call 24/7.  (In fact... I just got called to work while writing this.   :mad:   )  I also have a family, bills, taxes, exorbitant insurance rates... Ya know... "The American Dream"... and finding time to shoot "IS NOT" a problem.  

I have never read any of the books mentioned on this forum... and to be honest... most of my training has been from what I learned here on this forum... and over the phone with a very good friend who lives in Arkansas.  (I live in Oregon.)  And... in truth... (1) one year ago.. I would have never DREAMED that I would be as good with a recurve as I am today.   :saywhat:    :thumbsup:  

Donnie

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help everybody! Have a great New year!

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Mike C - why the harsh words about Fred Asbell? He is one of the true gentlemen of our sport. Just because his style is different than yours, no need to bash him. He DOES NOT think his advice is the "end all" as you put it. I don't shoot anything like Fred at all, but I learn something everytime I re-read one of his books.

When giving advice, you would do better by just giving the advice, rather than bash someone else.
Roger...I meet the man and heard him speak.  Seemed to me like he was a bit of an elitiest.  I gave an opinion, not a bash.  If I was bashing the man I would have choosen different words.  I also believe his article about eye dominance was way off and incorrect, but the way he wrote it left nothing to be discussed, he was right and that was it.  That is the way I read it.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
"Good" Is in the eye of the beholder.....

I do not want to sound disrespectful or offensive so let me oppoligize first   ;)

If you would like to hunt with traditional equipment GREAT!!!!! Welcome to the Gang!!!!!

However, most new traditional shooters switching over from compounds want the "best of both worlds" They want to use traditional equipment,BUT they don't want to give up thier 2" groups and thier 40-50 yard max range.

Shooting a tradtional bow is a commitment to accepting not your "limitations" but your "abilities". If you are only able to shoot accuratly at 10 yards,then you accept 10 yards as your limit,and you go from there. I think most folks here will agree that it is pretty easy to get yourself hitting a paper plate at 10 yards.(I have taught many new shooters to hit a plate at 10 yards in an hour or two) When you can consistantly hit at 10 yards,move back 1 yard each new shooting session.If you start missing the plate,then step UP 1 yard.With everyday practice you should be back to 20 yards in a week or two. It's that easy!!!!!

NOW.....IMHO Compound bows are just HEAVY,HIGHLY OVERPRICED PIECES OF JUNK,That are designed to be obsolete in 2 years so that you have to spend a weeks hard earned paycheck (or more) to buy a new one.

If you do decide your ready to make the switch.....Throw that compound in the dump where it belongs,and get yourself a stickbow!!!!!    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
MikeC - hearing the man speak and meeting him does not justify your harsh critisism. Now you have called him an elitist. Sounds like bashing to me.

I have spent quite a bit of time with Fred...campfires at different shoots, planning the Compton Rendevous, a week at ShrewHaven with Ron and the boys...he is my friend, and as long as you are going to insult him, I'm going to push back. So why don't you just cut it out. You can disagree with someone without being so personally critical.

Folks that know me will attest that may be the most polite paragraph I ever typed in a cyber-converstaion such as this.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
Roger...I have a right to my opinion and expressing it, call it what you like.

I'm not going to argue with you.

Have a great new year!
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Get one and shoot 12 arrows a day off of your deck while you have something on the grill.Your wife will love for cooking and you will be surprised how good you can get in a short time.

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ironman:
Get one and shoot 12 arrows a day off of your deck while you have something on the grill.Your wife will love for cooking and you will be surprised how good you can get in a short time.
A fine idea!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
That is great advice. I have shot a bunch of arrows while manning the grill!

G. Fred Asbell

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
I have other questions now, should i post the here or start new topics?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Post them here...

G. Fred Asbell

Offline buddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
From reading it apears that heavy is better in broadheads, 150 Wenzel seems to be a favorite. Is this a personal choice or is it better for Trad?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©