INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: wenge and walnut  (Read 426 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
wenge and walnut
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I have made a few complete knives in the past and made handles from various woods and antlers before. I decided to make a few more from blades I have already finished and from a few blades I bought online. While asking around about different woods this week I came into a pretty good supply of what I believe is wenge and what I know is black walnut.

Any pros and cons to using these woods in knife handles? I know they are porous. What would be the best way to seal these for a hunting knife and still really show the grain?

thanks

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wenge and walnut
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
I don't have a ton of experience with Wenge, but have tried a few handles out of it.  I really liked the look of it, but those pores pretty much drove me nuts...  I think taking the sanding to a fairly high finish can help a bit.  If you try to finish it out with a buffer and some wax, it can fill in those little pores and look fairly lousy.

I think I saw another guy use it on a knife and he did a super glue finish, which would close up those pores, then you could sand and re-apply if needed.

Good luck with the knives and post pics.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I finished a knife off with wenge with in the last year. I just cleaned it down with acetone and coated it with shellac. Then I went back with a final sanding and finished with tru-oil. It came out great! Jon

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Good luck Greg. bet they will look great!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
One option would be to send it off and have it stabilized. For open pur woods I have done the following. The wenge I have used very quickly oxidezes to a purply/brown color after cutting.

Two coats of shellac, sanding lightly between coats. Wet sand two coats of Minwax wipe on poly with 400 grit. A slurry of fine saw dust and poly will mix to fill the pores. Sand with 400 when dry. Apply 2-3 coats of poly, sanding lightly between coats when dry. Buff with paste wax.

Fine woodworking magazine did a comparison on finished a few years back. The wipe on poly was the editor's pick. Great stuff.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©