INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: leather weight  (Read 524 times)

Offline longbow safari

• Trad Bowhunter
leather weight
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
hey guys,
 i was wondering what thickness or weight leather most of ya'll use for knife sheaths and stuff ? i have a stitcher and i need to know what size thread and where to get it to sew it ?
                            thanks ,  Dom  :pray:
Bob Lee Elite 64" 60 @ 28
Bob Lee Classic 62" 60 @ 28

Offline Craig B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: leather weight
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
8oz or 9oz veg tan is what I use but I'm no master leather smith. I get my leather and wax thread from Jantz Supply

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I used to get my from Jantz but the leather seams mor like 7-8 oz, so i get my leather and thead from Tandy Leather, if you dont have one close you can order online, but Craig is right about the 8-9 oz veggie tan. good luck in your search
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I tend to use 7/8 wt
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
i like 10-12 oz leather and not perfect veg tan, seems to not have any charicture to it.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline Pete Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I use 8-10 oz tooling leather from Wicket & Craig.  Very nice leather.  What kind of stitcher?
Pete Crowl

Blade Show Table 8 R

ABS Journeyman

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Thread and leather do and dont matter. If it is 8oz stacked 3 layers versus single ply does. Heavy leather dictates a heavyer needle other wise you will have deflection in the needle. I sew all my sheaths and most of my archery gear with 207 thread. I get by most of the time with a 160 needle I bump up to a 180 if it gets thicker. I sew my saddles with a 180 neddle and 277 thread. It also has to do with the finished look you want. If you use a 200 needle and 207 thread it does not fill the needle hole very well and looks pretty bad. Machines can be finicky and it took a lot of polishing and futzing but I run my 160 needle at 8 stitches per inch with 207 thread on top and 138 on the bottom. I realy like the refined look. 6 stitches per inch will give you more lee way.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Scott pretty nuch  summed it up pretty well, with good info on most everything.
I order my leather by the roll in 12- 14 oz.
most goes into horse gear. The small amount I use on achery or sheaths is split to the thickness that best fits the blade or archery gear. I usally hand sew those items as my harness stitcher has 346 on top and 277 in the bobbin.
I let the knife determine how thick the leather needs to be. Funtion first, then how it looks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©