INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First in a long time.  (Read 497 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
First in a long time.
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I haven't made a knife in a long time, mostly because the blades I have made need to be quenched and tempered and my torch went belly up and I haven't finished a forge yet. My wife wanted to make a few knives so we ordered a few blades from Polar, Lauri and Helle. I deer hunt a lot and take quite a few deer a year so most of my knives are geared toward what I like for hunting. For me Mora style blades can't be beat.

I don't need a lot of leverage for gutting deer so I made this one with a 3-1/4" Lauri high carbon Blade and 6-1/4 overall length. It fits my hand well and is small enough to wear as a necker, throw in my quiver or wear on my belt without getting in the way. The brass is an old hinge I had laying around and the wood is walnut and a red colored wood I have not identified. Both of which were also lying around. The handle was finished with teak oil and since taking the pictures I buffed it with wax. The knife cost me $16 to build.

This is my first ever attempt at a sheath and it came out pretty good, but the next will be better now that I was given a rusted up old drill press I was able to bring back to almost new. Getting a straight line of holes for stitching with a hand held drill was a pain. since taking the pictures I buffed it up with leather conditioner my wife uses on her tack.

Cell phone pics aren't the best but you get the idea.

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First in a long time.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Nice job!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©