INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: a couple blacksmith knives  (Read 485 times)

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
a couple blacksmith knives
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
all three of these were more of a learning process for me and learning more about my forge and the heats i like and all those other fine details.  with all three being full of mistakes and errors i learned alot. from hammer marks to stress cracks to uneven bevels. but without mistakes ya cant learn as much right!  

this one is made of 5160 and has a couple small stress cracks that i believe are from working the metal to cool.  

this knife is also made of 5160 and its my favorite of the three.  very simple with good looks and a useful blade shape. for the most part the biggest promlem with this one is that when i forged my bevels they are not even so in the end it made the knife look twisted when looking at in from the front.

and last i have my first ever attempt and a pineapple twist pattern.  it was just a experiment at first and once the twist turned out ok i figured i would make a narrow dagger or letter opener which ever suits you best.  its just an old common rail road spike, not even a high carbon one at that, but will work for letters i guess.  

now that im forging more often and learning alot and realizing how tough some things can be to make it amazes me even more when i see things that lin , karl, ben, and many more awesome builders on here make.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline tat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a couple blacksmith knives
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Those look great!! I really like the second one!!!
Romans 13, 1-5

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a couple blacksmith knives
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Very cool.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©