INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New EDC  (Read 658 times)

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
New EDC
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
This is a new EDC I made for myself a couple of weeks ago.  Blade is bandsaw steel verified as Uddeholm 15N20.  Four and a half inch cutting edge and a little over nine inches total.  The handle is ziricote with stainless/brass Loveless bolts.  It is very comfortable in the hand and the thin steel cuts really well.  I'll probably go with 1/8" 1084 for the next one in this pattern, but I really like the way this one handles so far.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New EDC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Looks good to me!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Looks great - I like the design and grind work(wish I could do 1/2 that well with my grinds)  Are you doing stock removal or forging?  I ask because your 15n20 combined with your 1080 makes some very nice demascus?  

Sheath looks great too!

Bob

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Bob, I do forge a lot, but this was a stock removal blade. I just don't have the skill with a hammer to do much on steel as thin as this.  I find that most of my blade forging is done on round stock or thicker flat stock.  I'd love to see some of that san mai you've been making!  I've made a fair amount of layered damascus, but I haven't tried any san mai yet.  It would be hard for me to keep the center steel in the center working with hand held hammers, I think.  I need to get off my rear and build me a press!

Leatherwork is a big challenge for me, but this sheath is the best I've made to date, as far as utility goes.  It rides just where I want it and holds the knife tight enough without being too tight, thanks to a good bit of helpful advice from the local Tandy store.

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
looks like the old cutco knives , great work, cant go wrong with black either!
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Nice size and shape.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©