INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grinder?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Grinder?
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Well I need to step up with my grinder as I am using a hodge podge of 2x and 4x grinders now and want something better.  I know this has been over and over here(just read all  past posts I could find) but I am just asking all what you are using.  

I want a 2x72 that is versatile and attachment ready, mid range cost, and has decent reviews.  My price point is between 500 and 1000 but the closer to 500 the better.  As I have mentioned in past posts I have access to all things in steel fabrication so making changes or adding accesories would be a breeze.  I could easily build one but really just do not want to take the time.  I just want the basic, working machine with adjustable speed to get started.  

Anyone selling a used or know of a decent used machine please let me know.  Tips, leeds, ideas regarding motor HP, etc. would be nice.

thanks for any help

Bob Urban

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Bobby,
      I strongly encourage you to consider the KMG. Look into buying the main frame and building your accessories, at least. You said building those would be a breeze. The chassis is not bad either. A better plan, in my opinion, is to buy the pulleys, and build the rest except maybe for the rotary platten.
    Some equipment will hold you back because your skills will surpass the equipment, but the KMG style grinder is a very basic tool that you can always use if you make knives.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Craig B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I second what Lin says.  Save your money and buy a capable grinder. If you skimp now you will regret it later. I wish I woulda saved my money instead of getting in a hurry and buying something I knew would need to be upgraded later.

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I concur with Lin and Craig. I used a Craftsman 2x42 and lots of hand tools while I slowly bought all of the components for a KMG. I spent about $150 on the Craftsman while I saved. It took me almost 2 years to get all of the parts and set up the KMG, including running the 220v electricity. This is a very discussed topic and you should find tons of posts with grinder advice.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I have the money but have a hard time spending it because I am just a hobbiest knife maker that gives all his knives away.  If I sold them maybe I could justify 12-1500 on a grinder but I am trying to do it more economically.  Is there any place I can by plans for building one?  

thanks for the help guys

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=003581;p=2
i hope this works
ive been thinkin  about this grinder alot lately
kevin

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin - I sent a PM to Clay to get the contact information from the builder.  I also just ordered the plans for a build your own from USAKnifemaker (thank you Lin)

One way or another I am going to be upgrading my grinder(s) :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©