3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where do you get your plaid?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
where do you get your plaid?
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Ive decided to bite the bullet and try huntin in some plaid. I want some green and black in a good hunting shirt weight. Hope to break it in on my javie hunt. So where do yall get yalls at? I looked at ll bean, but really didnt see anything i liked...especially not for the price.
Kyle

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where do you get your plaid?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Kyle check cabelas bargin cave. I just bought some flannel plaid shirts by moose creek for 7.00 dollars and some change ea. of course they were size big but they shrunk in the dryer to fit.. also check e-bay if your a little guy you can get some darn good buys...........
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Woolrich. Brown for oaks, green for evrything else..

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
It works, too!

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Until recently, it was darn hard to find plaids in hunting colors and two button-down pockets (gotta have plenty pockets!). Now it seems the sellers are catching on. I plan ahead and shop off-season sales, both the catalogs (Sierra Supply is a good alterntive to Cabela's) and local shops. My experience equals Rogers -- animals can't tell the difference between dark plaids and the most expensive camo. Especially effective with a tree-bark background. Same for non-camo pants -- lots of choices out there now with bellows leg pockets, etc. And you can go to town wearning your hunting clothes without causing a stir.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Yep what Roger said anything WOOLRICH got the same shirt on the left of your pic Roger. Had it on yesterday a balmy 14 degrees.Had it over a grey woolrich sweater warm as toast.You'd be surprised how CAMO plaid really is .Remember the plaid VS camo thread. Where's FERRET  when you need him? He's a walking testament to PLAID.Woolrich makes some nice combos also green and black, black and white etc etc.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Wal-Mart has  lots of color choices and is cheap.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
goodwill store got two for 5$  just keep your eye open at yardsale
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Johnson Woolen Mills has green or red wool plaid jackets that are pretty nice. I've had one of the lighter ones for a couple of years and it works pretty well. I usually wear a wool sweater underneath if it starts to get too cold. They're more of a shirt jac style, a fair price and not too bulky. They also carry a heavier weight coat but it looks kind of bulky and I've never tried it. You can check them out on their website. Made in the USA, if it matters.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I pick alot of my Woolrich and Pendleton plaid shirts up on e-bay. I usually get the ones that were made in the 50's and 60's, and you can get them cheap too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
May Your Arrow Drink Deep of the Whitetail!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
I love Woolrich stuff...outstanding quality, very inexpensive for what it is. I recieved a Woolrich zip up sweater vest last year as a gift...awesome layering garment.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Remember plaid is a pattern, wool is a material. Cotton is also a material. The material worn depends on the time of the season. I will wear cotton flannel (lightweight in Sept to early Oct, heavyweight cotton Early Oct to mid November and wool from mid November on thru 2 days ago when I quit deer hunting for the season.

Here's my favorite heavweight cotton plaid from Bass Pro Shops and it comes in green/black Kevin which I have and wear..I also wear the brown/ black one to hunt in when leaves are falling or down and the red black one around camp and stump shooting)For late season hunting when there is snow I switch to a brown and white plaid "jacket"

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=56017&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults  

For heavy wool shirts I also check Salvation Army and the Thrift stores because a good wool plaid shirt will run $65-$100 new while you can pick them up at thrift places for $15-$20.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
WalMart, Target, Kmart, sometimes Cabelas.

Lee

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
We have a local vendor here, Mary Deppe aka "The Wool Lady" who attends all of the traditional shoots. She has a HUGE assortment of surplus wool/plaid/hunting appropriate clothing. Name brand stuff, Woolrich, Pendleton, etc., is typically priced between $5 and $15.

I have plenty of plaid flannel also, but with few exceptions, by time hunting season rolls around, it's wool weather. Cotton, even jeans, bothers me when wet and below 50 degrees or so.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I would like to pick up a wool vest like you mentioned Roger. That would be awesome. Wish that wool lady was down this way.

I wear flanned lined deinms early season with fleece long johns if needed and fleece lined denims in the late season with Ulfrotte wool undies as needed.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Thanks alot guys. Yall have been a tremendous help.

Mickey, WOW. Fantastic pictures my friend. Those will leave no doubt about plaids effectiveness. Is that carp skin on the bow with the fork horn?

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Yes, the bow is "Alpha Static" made by Tim Ott from Missouri who recently won the ABC Challenge bow in The Bowyers Journal. BTW the forky was shot at 7 steps off the ground and had been within 10 yards of me for quite a while sparring with another small buck. Quite exciting hunt.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
"the Wool Lady" is da bomb! Look for her at Compton and other shoots. She has womens clothing too. She must spend a lot of time at yard sales and thrift shops getting stock - good stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©