INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How hot is welding heat?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
How hot is welding heat?
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
If one were to attempt to weld 1095 to 15n20, how hot does the forge/metal need to get to weld effectively?  Trying to spec out my forge and want to make sure I build it safely.

Thanks guys
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How hot is welding heat?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Forge welding generally requires a reducing atmosphere and a temp of 2350-2400 F degrees. Yes, some can weld a little lower but you can consistantly weld under those conditions.

I will point out that there is much more to welding than those two things alone. You know that of course.    :)
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Rusty, I'd say you're on a slippery slope...but a darned good one  :) .  I built myself a gas forge a little over a year ago and ended up needing to make some modifications to get to welding heat.  I lined mine with Kaowool and regular refractory cement (didn't have the money to spend on the ITC 100) and it's a 2 burner.  I was unable to reach temps for welding and after re-coating the inside with ITC 100 a little while back, it now gets me there.  The ITC 100 (in my opinion) was definitely worth it with the style of forge I built.  If yours is going to be a blown forge, you're already ahead on getting those higher temps.  A really easy way to check if you're getting hot enough is to get pyrometric cones from the pottery supply place-they're set to bend the tips over at a specific temp.  Cheaper than a pyrometer  :) .

Good luck and post pics.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
well everybody knows that welding heat is hot enough to weld with lol sorry i have no experiance or advice on this matter but sometimes a person could use a little chuckle.  i have yet to try the weld but would like to just dont really know what i would weld.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.

It sounds like the damascus idea will be a "down the road" thing for me.  I think I'll stick with a small two-bricker to get started with forging to shape and such.  I just thought I'd ask while I'm still in the planning phase.

Thanks for the tip about the pyrometric cones, Jeremy.  I had seen something about them on a forge-building site a while back and had forgotten about them.  That's good stuff once I hit that "down the road" thing.

Oh, and remind me to smack a Kansan next time I run into one.     :laughing:

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
ya got to take a ticket and get in line for that one rusty..... i have a feeling it would be a long line.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©