INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Interested in starting making knifes  (Read 842 times)

Offline JohnGorden

• Trad Bowhunter
Interested in starting making knifes
« on: June 02, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
Any helpful hints or advise would be greatly appretiated.  Thank you for your time

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interested in starting making knifes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Welcome to the addiction!  I started out by reading everything I could get my hands on about knifemaking, in books, magazines, and on the internet.  There are several different online forums available for knifemakers that are a wealth of information.  Probably an even better introduction would be to find a knifemaker close to you and see if you can visit his shop and spend a little time learning the basics.  Where are you in Texas?  There might be somebody on this forum close to you, and I'd bet that someone here knows someone fairly close.  Hope that helps.

Todd

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
John, I'm in cedar park tx just north of Austin if your close
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline JohnGorden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Thank you for replying. I've been interested in doing this for awhile and would love the opportunity to learn from someone who knows what there doing.I live in Killeen Tx. If Im not mistaken cedar park is about a hour away.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
That's what I am talking about with our online community. Good deal Dana!!!! That's a good offer John.

There are many threads archived here that cover most every aspect to some degree, so looking through those or using the search function are helpful. But there is help available here for the asking.

Perhaps you could give us an idea what kind of knives you want to make and the methods you may use to make them. Will you forge or grind? Ect.

Chris

Offline JohnGorden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
any method is fine with me, if possible i would like to learn every way so i know what's best for me.  And as far as types i honestly don't know enough to tell the difference.  Thank you guys for all the help so far i really appretiate the opportunity to learn  New trade

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
John, you can make knives by two main methods. Stock removal or forging. With stock removal you take a piece of steel and remove everything that doesn't look like a knife. With forging you shape a piece of steel to look like a knife then refine it with files, grinder or whatever works.

Either way makes a great knife, just a different way to get there.

Chris

Offline JohnGorden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
which way would you recommend to a beginner?

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
That would depend on what your available tools and amount of money you want to spend to get started. You could start with a bar of known steel from a reputable supplier, some files and an assortment of sand paper. A bar of 1084 from Uncle Al's Knife Supply is $15.00.  Then you could get with Dana if he would help with the heat treat. You could make your first one for little out of pocket. Then as you learn more you can choose the course that is most suited to you and your circumstances.

I would spend some time looking at knives to see what I wanted to make for my first. Then make a good sketch of the knife I wanted to make. After that use your sketch to make your knife.

Chris

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Sorry John, I've been out for awhile. Yes cedar park is about a hour away, I have some steel that is 5160 and some 52100 round. One day you can come over and we can forge one or you can grind one. Chris is right about drawing what you like and then making it. There is a guy named Bigred Archer that's comes over from time to time. Your more then welcome to come over or you can PM me and I'll send you my #
I don't know everything, but I'll teach you what I know.
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
This book is a good starting place
 http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Goddards-Knife-Shop-Revised/dp/0896892956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338916213&sr=8-1

These books are good for developing an eye for the types of knives you like. Some of the older used annuals can be bought cheaply.
 http://www.amazon.com/Knives-2012-Worlds-Greatest-Knife/dp/1440216878/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338916359&sr=1-2
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm in zsimilar situation to John .... Wanna get started and not sure where to begin... Anyone in the northern Virginia area making knives that you guts know of?

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
If you go to this site, click on the Bladesmiths link at the top. Scroll through the Journeyman Smiths for a possible instructor.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/  

You might consider planning for this:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=events&subsection=show_events_details&events_id=42

Also, the back of the Blade Annuals, I mentioned above, has a good directory of makers and resources.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I too have an interest in knife making, wondering if there is anyone in northern Il who might want to tutor/mentor or just get some tips from.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Hey John, are you stationed at Ft Hood? I lived in Harker Heights for a few years when I was with 1st Infantry at Ft Hood. Good luck with your knife adventure. Something I'd like to do someday as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©