INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Could This Be A Trade Knife???  (Read 544 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Could This Be A Trade Knife???
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Hello fellas, I know that this is as good a place as any and loaded with knife know how so I figured Ill ask here first.   I found this knife at the site of an Iroquois encampment. We also found some trade points as well as Onondaga flint stone points and pottery shards, all on the surface.

The site is certainly not pristine and there have been many modern day campers at the site since the natives inhabited the area so it may be just a butter knife that was left by a modern day, toast loving camper.

I know that a trade knife is a broad classification  of  knives so what Im really asking is from the pictures do any of you think this could be 100s of years old? Thank you, Izzy            

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could This Be A Trade Knife???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
would be hard to tell without a carbon dating.  the problem with old stuff made of steel is that sometimes it can rust completely away.  so it could be really old or it could be a butter knife that has sat there for several years but of no real importance.  either way cool find.  but in my opinion it looks to be of the old world.  that kinda rust dont ussually happen fast.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder if it was even a knife the way the tail end of the handle is formed??  Maybe there was a similar section on the other end that has rotted away.  And then who knows that that would have been?  Cool find either way - I really like finding old things.  

I ofen wonder when watching that show, "American Pickers" how many Bear bows, old broadheads, Marbles knives and other cool pieces of hunting and archery history they could find if they knew what was valuable.

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
can you post a pic of the "tip" i dug an old draw/skinningknife that had the same style handle

at a 1860's house
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Glad to see you fellas are interested in finding old relics too. The really crazy thing to me is that this was found within 2 miles from Henry Hudsons northern most point of exploration of the river  which he called Mauritius in 1609 and was later named after him. With a little bit of imagination you can see the natives in their dugouts and smell the smoke from their fires as the explorers made their way up the pristine Hudson River every time I set foot on that ground.   ;)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Izzy - I am liking Erics direction that it may ave been a fleshing knife with dual handles.  I am seeing wood handles past the loop on the tang and a trapper scrapping the hide off a pile of beaver pelts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©