INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tell me about your electro etchers...  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about your electro etchers...
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Having always stamped my knives I didn't feel the need for an etcher till I started fooling with these little folders. I know some of you have built your own and some have purchased them so I'd love your input.

Thanks
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about your electro etchers...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a gentleman cut out my mark in the negative on vinyl.  I stick the vinyl resist to the blade, attach the negative positive lead of a battery charger (set for a 2 amp marine battery charge) to a piece of cotton ball dipped in salt water.  I attach the positive lead to the tang.  I did a little tutorial using a lantern battery before.  I think it's a sticky up top now.  It was poorly done and my knives aren't anywhere near yours, but it works.  It produces a somewhat rugged etch, in that there's variance in depth compared to a commercial system or stamp.  At any rate, here's a more recent example:

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Go to that drawer where you have all those old cell phone chargers you wonder why you keep every time you open it - whola, now you know why.

Need to have a two lead charger and a couple little gator clips.  Do a test on a piece of scrap - should become black pretty quick where your etchant meets the blade or you have the wrong lead doing the dirty work. Swap the etch lead for the one cliped to the blade and your good to go.  If you are smart you will put a piece of tape or something on the hot lead or if you are like me you will think about it but never get it done so you go through the guess and switch each time.

Salt water, vinegar, feric, others??  all work as an etchent but I get good results with just salt water and it is less toxic when it is bubbling.

As mentioned above, having your makers mark cut out of vinyl by a sign maker is the best way but there are other tricks to skin the cat.  Have them cut small and close together so you get more on a page.  Use 3M blue to pull the vinyl off the backing and attach to the blade then carefully remove the 3M.  Electrical tape around it will protect from over flow etching.  Practice on a blade you are not as concerned about prior to one of your awesome folders - there is a small learning curve to get the depth you want.

You can also put the vinyl on the blade and etch the whole thing in feric to get a different type of mark on the blade.

By the way 4est - that little folder is awesome

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I got one of the inexpensive etch-o-matics for Christmas. I had a guy named Earnie (I think) from Florida make some stencils for me. He said the etch-o-matic would not work but I have had very satisfying results with it. There are many tutorials to make your own. I have two different size stencils. You can do a deep etch or a surface etch or both. I do the deep etch and then blacken it. Just be sure to moisten the pad very well. Here are a few pics of the results.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »

I got my stencils from Ernie too. I just etched this blade.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Nice work, fellas!!!!!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline caleb0100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Nice pictures, and nice dog foot, Lin

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I had Ernie Grospitch make me a sheet of stencils some time back for when I built my first folder up at Jon Christensen's but used his etcher. Wish he hadn't moved four hours away...

Didn't know there were so many options, Chris Scully sent a link to the Chris Crawford build along also.

That phone charger deal is one I'm gonna try pretty quick Bobby. My lovely wife never throws anything away  ;)  so I spect there's one or two here somewhere.

Saw that Personalizer on Pop's sight Lin, real tempting...

Thanks Guys!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Doug, which ever way you go, you'll need supplies. I use a lot of the cleaner and some etchant/electrolyte. 4 to 1. I just ordered more cleaner and still have plenty of electrolyte.

I like the personalizer. Bout got the kinks worked out.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:

I like the personalizer. Bout got the kinks worked out.
What would be one of the "kinks'?
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Trying to use a stencils after it gets "worn". I get about 4 or 5 good clean uses. I'm new to this so I might be mis diagnosing, but I change stencils often.

Using too much electrolyte on the pad. Smears the stamp and runs up against the guard where it's hard to reach. You should put just enough on the felt pad and if you get too much, blot it on paper towell.

Getting the power setting set for the depth and timing of the etch. Still working on this one. Start swith short sessions and fold the stencil back and clean from time to time. I dont time it, but I think my total accumulated time to etch a stamp is 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. That is broken up into two or three shorter sessions. I have always stamped so I compare it with that and thus a deep etch looks right to me.

Fastening the stencil to where you can raise it up to check/clean it and it lay flat exactly where it was. Scotch tape works good. Create a hinge.  

The rule (in my estimation) for etching is to use moderate amounts of cleaner, not trying to etch on flooded amounts of cleaner. Use an approprate amount of electrolyte. Just enough to cover the area of the stamp. For instance, you trim your stencil to be somewhat larger than the area of the stamp to protect that area from any over run of etchant. To put more electrolyte than needed means that it will run over and under the stencil so when you apply the electricity to it, it will naturally burn where you dont intend. Not good. The next variable is the timing of the etch.

Expect to go over the blade again hand sanding your last grit after the name etch.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Doug, Chris Scully made one for me and it works great, i use salt water. i think he got everything from radio shack,you might email him and get the materials you need, i think he said it cost very little.
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I appreciate your time, Lin.
Like Doug, I'll soon find reasons to do some etching.

You mention electrolyte up against the guard - can't you etch it before you attach the guard?
Chief Joseph

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Yes, I do that when given a choice. Once in a while, I'm in a situaltion where I have to etch a completed knife. A collaboration, for instance. The knife is finished and needs my mark.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Good stuff! I really appreciate the input from everybody. As most of you know I really enjoy making much of my equipment but with our jobs in the summer and fall my shop time just screeches to a halt. What little I get I'd rather use working on a knife. My sweet little wife has given her blessing  ;)  to buying an etcher, now it's just deciding which one...

I like dealing with Pop's but saw the etcher from "Blue Lighting" on Ernie's site that looks like a bit more "machine" for about the same money. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Lin, I'm assuming the etchant/electrolyte is the same thing?? Do you use the cleaner before and after the etch?

Here is the result of the stencil Ernie made me using Jon's etcher which was real similar to Lin's.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Yes Doug, Before, after, and sometimes in between. The smoked up areas make it hard to see if it took. So I clean it off lightly and etch again if I think it needs it.

I'm calling the electrolyte and etchant the same. I will still stamp sometimes, but the option of etching the name is nice. I had Ernie make me some small stencils more fitting for smaller blades.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Gotcha.

Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
Yes, I do that when given a choice. Once in a while, I'm in a situation where I have to etch a completed knife. A collaboration, for instance. The knife is finished and needs my mark.
Chief Joseph

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I got some stencils from Ernie also. Good quality stencils and he can do some great artwork too.

Lin, that etch of yours is great. I thought at first it was a stamp its so deep.

Now that I have a stamp, I prefer to use it, but we older, somewhat senile guys occasionally forget to stamp before hardening. The etch saves a lot of extra effort then.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
I'm not a knifemaker, but I read a book about it by Bob Loveless.  In it, he describes how he does his mark.  He didn't use a cut stencil.  He used something that cured with a special light.  I guess it's safe to assume that all of you know about that system.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

Etch-o-matic

Very easy to use and just like most everything the more you do it the better results u get

Got mine used off fleabay used came with lots of stencils and etching solutions for copper bronze stainless and general purpose as well as a neutralizer for $80

I gotta get a better camera!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©