3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beaver Hunting 101  (Read 1744 times)

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
Beaver Hunting 101
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
I took a crash course in beaver hunting 101 last night. Thanks to my good friend Mike G and my new friend Captain Chuck, I had the good fortune to participate in one of the most fun and exciting hunting adventures of my life so far.

The adventure began at around 8:30 Pm when we took to the river. It was dead calm and very mild. after about a mile we entered the killing fields but the tide wasn't right yet and we had to wait for the action to begin.

A half hour into our hunt the action began. Our first beaver sighting! Being the good guides that they are, Mike and Chuck allowed the new guy to have the first crack. The shot played out just like you would plan it, only to have the new guy blow the shot. Yes, that's right, I was the new guy. The same thing happened on the next chance.

Finally Mike had to relieve me of my duties and get the ball rolling. He connected on a nice 40-45 lbs. fur ball. After breaking the ice he allowed me to continue my education.

After a short search we located another beaver and it was my turn once again. This beaver was out on some river weeds ( I'm not sure which type) and I made a good shot only to have the beaver disappear into it's den. My last opportunity happened later, a good shot resulted in the beaver beaching and I thought I would finally have a pelt to display proudly. Not so, at the last moment it started back toward the river. I tried to anchor it with another shot but despite placing a great second arrow it splashed into the river.

We were out until 3:45 AM and had action all night. I am amazed at the speed and agility of these animals. Recovery depends on conditions to be absolutely perfect. Needless to say that doesn't always happen.

I had intended to take lot's of pictures but in the heat of the moment my camera never left my pack.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beaver Hunting 101
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time with a couple of great fellows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Now Bill we never did that back East LOL,That sounds like a blast.What do you use for heads? Whats the limit.Talk soon Bud >>>>------> ED
Put some air under it.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
WOW! That's Cool! But ain't it alot of work for a set of beaver balls? I mean, moth-balls can be bought by the box full! And you get to stay home at night... ;) ...

..... mike .....
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
Shot my share of Beavers they are hard to kill you have to shoot right low 2or 3" Lower than the surface of the water to get in the boiler room then you have to grab them before they sink that is the hard part oh by the way make sure they are dead befor grabbing or you will have a large fight on your hands that you will never forget   :thumbsup:  Good luck futcher Beaver hunters  :archer:
Gord

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
I can't wait to further my education!

Offline captaincaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »
Just a thought, cause I never hunted beaver (well, not the water dwelling kind   :bigsmyl:  ), since it's just a bit illegal here in Ohio.  Would there be a way to set up a bowfishing rig that would get sufficient penetration to kill a beaver?  Might eliminate the whole grab'em befor they sink aspect of it.

Josh

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I was wondering the same thing as captiancaveman (LOVED that cartoon when I was a kid BTW). It sounds like fun but from the adventures I've read here so far it seems like a huge waste of a resorce, not to mention arrows.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Barbed arrows or arrows with a line attached are illegal. Gafts are also illegal. As you can see, this makes recovery very difficult.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
I have to tell you guys, I had a hard time telling my wife I was going beaver hunting. LOL

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Not sure I would want to use a bowfishing rig for a beaver or not.  A friend and I were bowfishing once and he shot a muskrat.  They are small, but have alot of attitude when the have and arrow and string shot through them and your trying to figure out how to finish them off and get your arrow back.  To say the least it was not one of our finer moments.  Can't imagine having 30-40# beaver on a string.  Might be fun to video though...   :eek:    :scared:    :help:
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Great story, Bill!  

Thanks, Captaincaveman! How do I get around this one!   :D  Beaver is good eating too! Makes a good meatloaf. I'll dig out the recipe and post it on the Recipes forum.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Lonewolf....
   30-40# Beaver....thats a baby....
My smallest so far was 45+ and the biggest so far was 61#
   Like you said it might make a good video, butt it would be alful ugly....
   I think I'll let the new guy try it...Wheres Bill....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
"beaver on a string"

Okay, I'll be good.  :rolleyes:

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Mike,

I bet that my camera would end up in the river. LOL

I know I wouldn't have wanted my first few pitiful attempts on film. HA HA

Offline captaincaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
 A friend and I were bowfishing once and he shot a muskrat.  They are small, but have alot of attitude when the have and arrow and string shot through them and your trying to figure out how to finish them off and get your arrow back.  
Did that a couple times. Take a jack handel(AKA "Be cool stick") with ya. That calms the little buggers down right quick  :knothead:  

Josh

Offline coyote Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
My wife hates it when I'm out with my buddies taking pictures of beavers..  :jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©