INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Edge grind angle?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Edge grind angle?
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
I have a question for the knife makers here. What is the angle that you grind your edge at on a everyday working knife? I know that if you go with a flatter angle 17 degrees you will a sharper cutting edge but it also will need to be touched up more often than a 25 degree edge. I have a CRKT Ignitor that I carry for work and I was looking to work it over with my Lansky sharpener.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Edge grind angle?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Ive been doing alot of 30 degree on my smaller knives. It depends on the grind for me. A full flat grind i do 20 or 25. I do all of mine with a lansky and diamond
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
From 20-24 total degrees should do for most knives. Remember you can get a 90 degree angle to shave but it wont flow through material very well.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I see the term edge geometry used here and just was looking for some a advice from a pro.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©