INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Couple New Ones  (Read 612 times)

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple New Ones
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I finished these two in the last couple of days.  The first is of 1080 steel forged from 1/4" x 1" flat stock.  It's 7" oal with a 3.5" blade, 1/8" spine, and a cord wrapped handle made from a thinner variety of 200 lb. test utility cord I use for ultralight backpacking.  It's flat ground for nearly all of the width of the blade, then rounds over slightly the last 3/16" of so into the final edge.  I forged a Keesler-style finger guard and etched the whole shootin' match in saltwater.  Nothing fancy, but it will get a wet-molded side draw sheath soon.

The second is a tiny, goofy-looking little 1080 blade that is only 2.5" in oal.  A buddy wanted it for bird hunting.  He's never acquired the knack for opening them up and cleaning them without a knife, so he asked for something that he could just start a small incision with to get things going.  It works nicely, he says, as his index finger acts as a guide to keep it from penetrating too far.  It's got a little Kydex sheath with a breakaway connector for safety.  The scales are zebrawood attached with copper tubing and a small brass pin inserted in the tube, piened, and filed flush up front.

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple New Ones
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Those are both sweet, the first one is awesome.....
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I agree with Snakewood!

You do good work Bro!

Steve
---------
Potomac Forge
W.F. Moran Museum & Foundation

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
I agree too!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
I actually like that 200 lb. test utility cord better than the para cord.  Nicely done.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Trapper Rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Nice work

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©