INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Two pieces of Home by Tippit & Roughcountry  (Read 860 times)

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Two pieces of Home by Tippit & Roughcountry
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
My brother an I grew up in an old farmhouse that was home for 20 odd years for us both.  The house was built off of Sears plans with oak milled from the farm.  The foundation and roof were in bad shape and two years ago the decision was made that it would be cost prohibitive to sink any more money into the old place.  Mom and Dad built a new place adjacent to the old and we worked on gutting the old place over about 6 months.  As the old wiring and plaster work was torn out, I salvaged a couple nice joists with character in them to keep for projects.  

As the country song says, "The House that Built Me" was important to both my brother and I, and I wanted to memorialize it somehow.  Chris and I have both hunted with Jeff, and I've admired his knives for some time now.  I contacted him back in late summer to see about the possibility of using some of the oak out of the old house for scales for a couple matching knives for my brother and I.  Jeff was excited about the idea and a couple months later I received two twin knives just enough alike, and enough different to be symbolic of my brother and I.  

I knew I wanted sheaths made that completed the package.  I love Robin Severe's leatherworking style and craftsmanship, and the end result was exactly what I was looking for.

Christopher's birthday seemed like a fitting time to unveil them, and we have been able to use them on two deer now this fall and hopefully more to come!

Both Jeff and Robin are humble craftsman, and the quality of their work is amazing.  Thank you both for helping complete this heirloom project for my brother and I.  

With no further ado:

Blaze out your own trail.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two pieces of Home by Tippit & Roughcountry
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Great work by Jeff and Robin. Some real family treasure there.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Nice, a couple of my favorite people done real good. Those will sure be treasures for a long time to come.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Beautiful packages and great story!

Steve
-------
Potomac Forge
W.F. Moran Museum & Foundation

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Top of the line family heilooms from two fine craftsmen.  Mix in some great family history and memories, and you two really have a couple of treasures.  Very cool!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Andrew, The story of these two knives got to me when you first emailed me. Now when I see a little darkening of the leather from being used it really gets to me. Jeff did such a fantastic job on the blades and you and your brother hunting with them is perfect in every way.

That I got to make the sheaths is really a personal honor. Thank you very much and I wish you many great hunts together.
Robin

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
That above post was from Whip as I was on his computer before flying to back to Boston from our Kansas whitetail hunt.  

It was  a fun project to help Andrew pull off his surprise...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Top of the line family heilooms from two fine craftsmen.  Mix in some great family history and memories, and you two really have a couple of treasures.  Very cool!!
Yep, that was me!  I didn't notice the screen name and that Jeff was still logged in on my computer.   :knothead:    
He really wasn't bragging on his own skills.  Even though he would be completely justified to do that!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Jeff and Robin,

I wanted to echo Andrew's statements about the sincere admiration I have for your work.  A beautiful knife and sheath with tons of cool character.  

When Andrew sprung this gift on me I was totally taken back.  I knew he was going to do something with the wood but I never expected this.

I hope someday I am an old man and I pull that knife out to skin out a deer.  I'll think of that house, my brother, this site and some of the cool guys I have met through because of Trad Gang.

Thanks,

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Chris, what you and your brother share throught traditional archery is pretty cool.

I also have one of Jeffs knives, still blows me away that he sent it. I've used it on a couple mt lion and one deer. I never pick it up without hoping I get to meet him in person someday. Him and a couple hundred others on this site.
Robin

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Sweet knives and sheaths guys!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Trapper Rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Those are two fine lookin knives he did a nice job.
Rob

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Outstanding........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
WOW, Very nice work!    :notworthy:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers