INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What would ya do with $100  (Read 917 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
What would ya do with $100
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Hey Guys, I don't have any knife building tools or supplies,  other than normal tools in the garage.  So the wife wants me to give her a list for Christmas and to keep the items at $100 or less.  

So what would you all buy if you had $100 or less

What comes to mind is a 1 inch Belt and Disc Combo sander.  

What are your all thoughts?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline srtben

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would ya do with $100
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I'd get a drill press if you don't already have one.
Ben Tendick

God, Family, Friends.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Jack, I would say almost any belt grinder would be a great help if you are on a limited budget.

I would say save the money and get a really good 2 x 72, however, I know you want to get started.  Maybe a angle grinder?

If you have some good files, maybe a file guide would be a good choice, they are very useful.Also take a look at Uncle Al's web site for other Ideas.

http://www.riversidemachine.net/productCat0.ivnu

Hope this is helpful.

Steve
----------
Potomac Forge
W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are just getting started.  Are you going to be forging/grinding your own blades, or building from blanks?  If you are wanting to make your own blades, I would go with the belt sander first.  If you are starting from blade blanks, I would agree with Ben.  A drill press is priceless for getting pin holes straight, and you can get drum sanders to fit it that work pretty well for shaping handles also.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
The file guide is another choice, but it might run a little over that but not by much. If you make hidden tang knives, that tool is a must. Uncle Al carries them.

I always say, your best investment is YOU. Learn. Books, videos, etc. Expensive tools are great, but you can make knives, and very nice ones, with few tools.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Keep paying your internet dues.
(probally 50/month)
Stay right here and LISTEN to Linn, Karl, and anyone that will help you!!!
They acually have tutorials that are about as good as going to school  :campfire:
If its a tool?I agree with Lin,(carbon file guide)also(please use good steel)they really
improve fit and finish wheter you use belts or files.
All that being said I made my first knife with a $40,4" grinder,that was a while back.LOL
Good Luck,Have Fun

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  

I am a definite stalker here on the Knife treads and have only forged one blade, that was a year and a half ago with the help of Robtatto and Don Wilson.  

I have several books on knife building and always surf the internet.  

At this point i am thinking a drill press, a belt sander or a file guide and a couple of quality files.  I am trying to be realistic in my desires.  I am still constantly traveling away from home and get little time to work on projects.

I appreciate your alls input.  

Thanks a bunch,  Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
While I love tools one thing I value even more nowadays is "education". I "beat" around in my shop for probably fifteen years doing so-so work before reaching out and getting some real feedback and seeing what other guys were doing. Places like this forum are great but can't substitute for hands on experience. There are some great opportunities out there now for learning whether it's visiting other folks shops or attending "school" or a Hammer-in somewhere. I know you have to travel a lot already Jack but I'd put that money toward classes or travel for educational purposes then start collecting the tools you learned to use.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks Doug.  great advise.  I have been thinking of going to the Texarkana College Intro To Bladsmithing... buuuuttt, my dang travel schedule keeps getting in my way.  And the fact is i do love to travel  .

Thanks for your input.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
All good advice. Which ever way you go be ready for the addiction to go rampant. Good knives can be made on a budget. Files and steel are fairly cheep. The heat treat process can be an obstacle but there are companies that provide that service.

For the money question, dues to the American Bladesmith Society and some files could fit the bill.

Chris

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Jack,
Spend $65 for:

ABS Great Smoky Mountain Bladesmithing Symposium & Knife Show March 15-17, 2013
Haywood Community College, Clyde, North Carolina.

Put the remaining $35 toward splitting a motel room with me   :)  

Then if you have any extra time come on back to Aiken and try out your new found skills at my forge...Jeff

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a deal!
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
In that price range you may look into some good 8 inch buffing wheels and polishing compounds.I would get a 8in x 1" both in the tight sewn. You can make a buffer with a double shaft motor and some add on threaded arbours.You need a 1750rpm motor.Better yet if you can find a DC motor and use a speed controler on it.Watch those buffers though,,them things can hurt you bad if your not used to one.They can grab a blade and throw that thing all the way across the shop.As already said a good drill press is great too.Some of those cheaper import drill presses can be fixed up nice with a lil tinkering, like a DC motor,and later its nice to make a bracket to hold a dial indicator for a depth guage.If you visit many peoples knife shops one thing you will always see is lots of modifying tools to make things work better and easier.Other ideas might be several sizes of machinists rulers?A dig. caliper (a cheaper one is fine)good numbered drill bits,Flouresant lights!, a big box of bandaids,lol,and sound deadening for your shop so the wife and kids cant hear you cussin,lol.Really, the things you see in a knife shop,,grinders,buffers, drill press, forge and such,,are not where the real money is at,,its the small things in the drawers and shelves and piled under the bench that add up and in a way that can get scary.I used to make knives for many years.I made sheath knives to start out with, both forged and stock removal and the last 7 or 8 years i made high end folders.Some of the guys here i remember from when i used to go to shows.Lin Rhea is one of them i think.I did a lot of scrimshaw and carved ivory handles, and leather work for other makers too.I may have some supplies around here that i can send you to help out, i will just have to check and see what i have.I know i have a good bit of titanium sheet in diffrent thicknesses but that is mostly folder stuff.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Great idea Tippit,nothing is better than hands on learning!When i first started folders i had lots of help from a guy named Charley Morrison, a great guy and a top notch maker.Also Melvin Pardue.Melvin lives next door to me.He is a top notch guy too and will make you laugh to death talking to him.He can tell great stories about battle wounds in a knife shop,,,if it can happen its happened to him.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the input.

Jeff, i just arrived back home about 10 days ago and haven't been on this thread.  sorry i missed it.  Awesome offer.  i will be leaving the states again real soon and will not be home for about 3 months or else i would be sitting on your door step now.  Dog gone, its driving me nuts that i will be gone when the symposium will happen.  Well, to stay positive there is always next year.  

Thanks so much for the offer Jeff.  You gotta be careful with offers like this.  i tend to take people up on stuff like this.  LOL.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Jack,
Actually the offer is good for 2013, 2014, or whenever you can make it  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
And then come hog hunting.  My place is a hour from Aiken and the gate is always open for you!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Oh my gosh you guys are to kind.  I am putting together a plan now.  You guys have gone and done it.  

Let see, i have packed and have map quest direction.  Now all i gotta do it figure a time when i will be home.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©