INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lin Rhea knives and Scott Teaschner Sheaths  (Read 753 times)

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Lin Rhea knives and Scott Teaschner Sheaths
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Been gone for quite some time due to the hunting season and guiding elk hunters. These are going to TG member Allan DeVore. These are the first of Lin's knifes that I have had in my hands. All I can say is well I want one! Very nice Lin and hope you like the package Allan.

Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline srtben

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lin Rhea knives and Scott Teaschner Sheaths
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Beautiful work by both you and Lin, congrats to the new owners!
Ben Tendick

God, Family, Friends.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Very nice work,whats not to like.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Awesome stuff all the way around both of ya!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
WOW!!!

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I have an horizontal sheath to build in the near future..........as such I have a question. What keeps the knife from falling out? I am having visions of one of Lin's blades laying on the ground in the pounding rain(shudder) or falling into a deep fast river never to be seen again. I have built many pouch style sheaths and they all get loose after a while.......not sloppy loose, but loose enough I would not trust them to hold if tipped upside down and bumped a bit. Am I missing some retention device or method that I just can't see in the pics?
Beautifull leatherwork.  :thumbsup:  
Darcy  :)
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Wow! This is the first I have "seen" the sheaths, and I have never seen either the sheaths or the knives other than in pictures. Gotta say, the sheaths turned out even better than I expected. The colors we picked came out perfectly to highlight the corresponding colors in Lin's amazing knives. I'm thrilled, Scott!

Darcy, Scott tells me that he drilled a detent in the side of the guard and has a spring-loaded ball bearing mounted on the back inside of the leather, so that when the knife is inserted into the sheath, the ball bearing is pushed into the detent and holds the knife securely in place. Not really -- I'm just messing with you.     :saywhat:    Actually, I never thought of that concern. If the problem of the sheath getting too loose ever happens, I'm going to simply box up the knife and sheath and send them to Scott to let him figure out what to do, but I'll probably be dead before then and can let my wife's new boyfriend deal with it.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Allan you even had me going I was like I never told him that!? That is funny. I am glad you like them.

Darcy,I have been building these type of sheaths for about 6 years. I started building them for me at first. My first ones were pretty loose these are fairly complicated sheaths and it took me a while to get them down to a science. I have carried this type of sheath on me every day since I built the first one. They have been on horse back trips, crawling in the sage brush, climbing trees and I have never lost a knife yet! I am confiedent one will not be lost as long as I stick it all the way in too the sheath. You will lose any knife no matter the sheath type if you don't put it in all the way in. If it is sheath designed to a fastening device such as a snap or thong it must be secured or the knife could be lost. I have lost a knife in a sheath that just covers the blade and a strap with a snap secures the handle. I forgot to snap it and it fell out.

These type of sheaths work off friction thus the term friction fit. I have found even with my very first ones that where very loose I never lost a knife. With that said there is a fine line between too tight and too loose. I now build these with knowing they will break in so they are just a smidge tight and then break in to perfect fit.

I feel confiedent I could build these on the loose side and still have no problem. But if I built as such it would not show off my skill as a leather worker very well. With that said you have to know both extremes to figure things out If you build one loose and you figure out how you came to that you learned something. If you build one to tight and the knife does not fit take note on why. Also if they are too tight dont just give up and call it a loss soak it and stretch it some how? You have to be able to read leather its not all equal even with in the same hide. Neck is not the same as butt and some areas are not desirable and some areas are just waste not good for anything.

Bottom line is you have to throw away a lot of stuff to figure it out. There are some things that can not be explained and understood very easily the craftsman literally has to experiance it and come to conclusion.

In other words you have to come by it the Old Fashioned Way. You Earn IT! It just takes building a bunch.

Good Luck Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Allan, that cracked me up!
Thanks for all the info Scott. My leatherwork skills are OK, but not anywhere close to your level. I have found that the pouch style sheaths I have made hold very well, but I had never relied on one to hold horizonally........I'll give it some more thought and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again,
Darcy   :)
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
It is always win/win when two fined craftsmen team up! Great work on both parts. Enjoy them, Allan.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Allan,   :scared:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Those are both very beautiful. I have to say when get my next one done I will be giving you a call.  Congrats Allan, you acquired great pieces from two great craftsmen.

Chris

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
I hate you Allen, just kidding, one of these days maybe I will be able to get one of Lin's knives. I really love that sheep horn.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Alan, you're funny, buddy.

Scott, really nice duo there. You take everybody's knives and kick them up a notch.

I think you're gettin' this sheath thing figured out!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »
I am really glad to be receiving these amazing knives and sheaths. After Scott's excellent explanation, I have no doubt that the knives will remain firmly in place inside the sheaths unless I get hit by a car while wearing them.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©