INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stag Hunters for Christmas  (Read 1049 times)

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Stag Hunters for Christmas
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
A couple of knives I forged from 1084 for my sons for Christmas.  The top one has a beautiful hamon, but I can't get the picture to show it. I have a fighter style ready for a handle that I made for my son-in-law which also has a real nice hamon line.  Those were my first go at hamons... with the help of a buddy, of course! Two of the guys will be here for Christmas and one of them is still in Afghanistan.  These two will be going in the spring.  I hope they like them... It s     till takes a lot of time for me to make 'em.  Hope I get quicker! :-)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stag Hunters for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I really need to figure out how to take good pictures of these things!  The plunge lines and "D"s don't even show up! :-O
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Good work! I like both of them, with the top one being my favorite... I'm sure your boys will love them and be proud to cary them!!
Cheers

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Both look very nice. I can't see the hamon either, but I believe you. I can see the plunge line.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Rick, those are some fine looking knives. Very nice designs and execution. You should be very proud of em.

I met up with your buddy Jason a couple weeks ago at the Crowell shop visit. You should have been there.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks Lin.  I really wanted to be there, but had my Reserve duties that weekend.
 That Jimmy Crowell is a hoot, huh.  I met him at a hammer-in at the Branson show a short time ago.
Jason has been a patient and good friend to me... always giving of his time for coaching others in bladesmithing/knife making.  He really enjoys teaching others the craft... and Jason makes some darned fine knives too.
Sorry I missed the Symposium as I wanted to meet you. I have admired your work for some time and find you to be a true gentleman and mentor here on the site.
Thanks for all your generous sharing here.
Rick
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
very nice hunters, all a man needs!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Okay Allan... I think this pic will somewhat show the hamon.  I think I need photography clahttp://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/manitou11/StagHunterKnives161.jpgsses!
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Nice looking knives.  :thumbsup:
Darcy   :)
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Great looking blades. A couple ways to reveal damascus and hamons is to shield the blade with a small long piece of black matt board. The blade is being over exposed by your camera meter. The black board cuts some of the light on your blade to cause an underexposure which will show the detail. I see you are using a flash for your photos. If you use natural or studio lights, with your camera on a tripod, you can use the black board trick.

Another technique is to try to underexpose the image. There is typically a +/- button on your camera. Dial it down one click and take a shot, dial down another click and take a shot, etc.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Great looking knives!!! If one of them happens to "not" like one  , I am very adaptable!!! As I would LOVE either one!lol
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Great work!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the comments...and thanks Gabriel, for the photo tips.  I will give them a try next go around. :-)
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Hey Manitou, those knives look awesome...if there are ever any knife building events in our area in the future please let me know...it looks very interesting.

Thanks,
Pastor Lyle ...from Fair Play
417-399-1820
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I will Lyle.  How did your elk hunt go this past season?

Thre is a big show in Arkansas in Feb. There will probably some kind of a "hammer in" then.  I'll keep ya posted.

Actually, every time I build a knife, you could call it an "event"!  Nothing seems to go as planned! :-)

I finally finished up my last Christmas knife today.  Now maybe I can spend a couple more evenings in the timber with my bow before season end.

You and your family have a terrific Christmas.
Rick
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Nice knives!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©