INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Last Christmas present! Sheath pics added!  (Read 638 times)

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Last Christmas present! Sheath pics added!
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Just finished up the last Christmas present.  I know, the ricasso is a bit small... I had an "in- flight emergency"!  I had already cut the groove for a finger guard and realized I didn't have enough nickel on hand to make the guard, after the fact.  I had to make a nickel pommel and sand a finger groove into it to remove the guard groove.  Son-in-law and daughter are arriving today, along with my son and his wife. They are both on leave and we are doing the Christmas dinner and gifting early, so I had no reaction time.  I HAD to get-er done! :-)
Forged 1084, hamon, olive canvas micarta and nickel handle and pins.    

Okay... so I'll never be a Scott Teaschner, but I had to get sheathes on these things so the boys don't hurt somebody or something on the way home!    

And the other sheath... a cross-draw style for my son.http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/manitou11/DanielsandMarksSheaths015_zpsa5c7c8c6.jpg

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last Christmas present! Sheath pics added!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Really nice, and I like that short ricasso! That is a really nice knife, especially on the photo with the other knife, that is also really nice!
I like the design, look like it would be a good all around knife, in the kitchen and in the field!
Cheers and merry Xmas.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
looks to be a dandy for sure !
my kinda knife
kevin

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
They look great! I really like the smaller one! How do you make your hamon  show so well? I haven't had much luck. Mike

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Mike:  I sand to 600 grit, then I etch the blade with circuit board etching solution from Radio Shack.    The etching is FASSSST... only dip it for about 10 seconds, then neutralize with an ammonia based cleaner, such as Windex. Then I do an extra measure by washing gently with dish soap to make sure the acid is removed. Then I polish with a soft cloth and "Mothers" wheel polish. Just a bit... too aggressive and you will remove the definition. I focus more on the lower, heat treated area with the Mothers polish and go lightly on the upper etch.  It sounds like a lot, but start to finish (after the hand sanding:-), the etching, neutralizing and polishing takes no more than 10-15 minutes.  I have even scratched a blade while sharpening and cleaned it and re-etched the finished knife.  You have to be careful, as this stuff will etch everything... I just dip to the guard/pommel and then refinish the guard/pommel with the appropriate grit. It only takes a few strokes to get it back to new. Make sure your blade is clean and free of oil before etching.  I use Dawn dish soap and/or acetone to get it clean before etching so as to get a good, even etch.
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination... but am lucky enough to have a buddy that is willing to share his knowledge.
Hope this helps.
The hamon is done with a torch... no clay, thus the smooth, flowing line.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
I see a trail that leads back to Jimmy Crowell.   ;)  And that's a GOOD thing.

Very nice knife. It takes a steady hand to do that with a torch.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
You don't miss much, Mr. Lin! It's definitely Arkansas born, for sure. Seems to be a pattern there of good knife makers out of that state.  Must be in the water. :-)

You all have a Merry Christmas!  And thanks all, for the motivation to keep learning and trying.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Nicely done young man!
Sometimes its better to just go ahead and do it and not worry so much !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©