INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Heat treating 15N20  (Read 519 times)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Heat treating 15N20
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Does it take a degree? I want to make a stock reduction knife or two.

I was wondering if You could do it with Household heat equipment. I have access to a torch if I need to get to those Temps.

Thanks, bretto

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat treating 15N20
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
It does require a soak at austenizing temps (~20 minutes).  It can be plate quenched in sections under .100" with good results.

Not likely to be a good heat treat in open air with a torch.  I would strongly suggest 1080 or 1084 for the simplest heat treat.  Bring it up to 1500*F and quench in 130*F canola oil.  Temper starting at 375*F for 90 minutes twice.  If it chips out after temper again increasing 25*F until desired hardness is achieved.  A good indicator for the right temp is kosher salt, it melts at 1475*F, then go just a little hotter.
-Xander

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat treating 15N20
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
15N20 is very commonly used with 1080 or 1084 whem making Damascus.  One of the reasons it's commonly used is it's very similar to those 10xx steels in expansion/contraction.  When two steels with very different characteristics of expansion/contraction are forge welded together, it can be disastrous when quenching.

I imagine you could make a serviceable knife out of 15N20 with your torch.  Do your best to bring the steel up to temp evenly.  For a simple way of checking temperature, have a metal magnet handy and as you heat it up, check to see if it sticks to the magnet.  Try not to overshoot on the heat, but once you hit the non-magnetic point, quench it in canola oil just like Xander said.  Once cooled to room temp, stick it in the oven to temper it.

This is obviously a very simplified explanation of heat treating.  That being said, if you have some steel, give it a whirl and you might be suprised at what you can do.  Plus, it's a whole lot of fun  ;) .  Good luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©