INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grinder WIP  (Read 770 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Grinder WIP
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
I have spent quite a bit of time on the bowyers bench over the years but have always kept an eye on this forum as well (but not too many posts here).  New to knife making I went back and forth trying to figure which grinder to use.  I started with a 1x42 1/2hp $50 grinder I bought on craigslist and that worked well for what I used it for..well worth the $.  My buddy and I forged a dozen or so knives and used the 1x42 along with all of our other bow making sander setups but always knew the need for a decent 2x72 set up.  I went back and forth considering all the option and finally decided I would build a KMG clone using Michael Clerc's plans.  I have a woodworking shop and this is probably the first real metal working job I have done.  I think this is going to work and I expect to have in running & finalized in a month or so.  Took a bunch of pics along the way thus will try to do a build along once  completed... but here is a start pic and where I am at now.

1.5hp motor from auction site, KBAC 27d and a stack of 6061

Progess thus far

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grinder WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Looks great.  I'm finishing one up using the no weld grinder plans from Midwest Knife right now.  Hopefully will be able to start grinding on it by the weekend.  I looked at plans similar to what you are building, but decided the no weld grinder would work better with the tools I had at my disposal.  I'm not trying to be nosey, but do you mind sharing how much it cost you compared with what a new one would have cost.  I went with a 115v 1 1/2 hp motor with the step pulley system to change speeds.  Bought everything new and was able to do it for around $450-$500 including all wiring, hardware, paint, etc.  I believe I could have easily knocked $100 off if I had spent more time shopping around and went with some used components.

Thanks for posting.  These kinds of threads are very helpful for guys like us that are just getting started and are intimidated by the price tags on all of the available grinders and equipment.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Sure.  I went back and forth considering the no-weld, the GIB and a KMG clone.  I think all are great options.  I was drawn to the simplicity and looks of a KMG.  I will have a little over $1,000 stuck in this grinder when it is all said and done.  My two big costs were the VFD and I purchased the drive wheels & platten directly from Beu. Metal Works.  Here is a breakdown:

1.5HP 3ph Baldor $150- auction site
KBAC 27d (w/fwd reverse/stop) $365....(that hurt)
Aluminum $160
Platten/drive wheel/tension pulley- Bought directly from Rob @ BMW  $275
+ Misc bolts/wire/belts/spring, etc  

It is a lot of fun building these.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Great job on the build. I saved up and gathered parts over nearly a year to build mine. I got a great deal on a KMG chassis and had a 2 hp motor I got off the auction site. Bought the same VFD you did (and yes, it hurt for me, too). Got it all up and running and am really happy with it all. If I might suggest...you may want to check out Ed Caffrey's site and look at his flat platen. I got the plans and really like the platen with the two different size wheels and options it allows. I think you'll like the KMG style chassis, as well. The more solid you have it built (meaning less vibration), the better it'll be. Keep the updates coming-it's fun to see others making cool machines.

Oh yeah, by the way....welcome to a new addiction  :) . I started out on this site because of the bowyers bench, then found this subforum. Between bows and knives, you may never make it out of the garage  ;) .

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline James Oertel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
looking good did you order the aluminum pre cut or did you do the cutting ? if you did order
life is too short,enjoy it !!!

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I ordered it from online metals, precut.  I had to square up the edges though as they were a little rough and I did that on my grizzly 6x80" sander with a 36 grit, and then 80 grit belt (as I dont have a mill).  This was the reason I went with Aluminum.  Once I get this build along put together I will also scan in the materials list of the stuff I used and will be able to email that to anyone who wants it.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Had it up and running today.  The VFD does not like a GFI outlet, but runs very smooth once I got that figured out.  Belt tracking mechanism works as it should and overall a dry run success.  I am now taking it all apart, doing the final finishing work on all pieces and then will begin final assembly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©