INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What is good to finish a knife with?  (Read 532 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
What is good to finish a knife with?
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
What would be a good way to protect a carbon steel blade from the elements?  I know keep it oiled and so on. But have y'all came up with anything longer lasting. Oh and this is for a blade hand polished to 800 grit or so.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is good to finish a knife with?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
Its a matter of time before the elements will leave their mark on it. For most, me included, that is not a problem under normal use. It just gets a nice gun metal patina. You can postpone that by using plenty of oil or wax the blade after degreasing it. The patina from normal use does not include rust pitting, etc. That is neglect. But a patina is expected.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
For knives that I keep I do expect that Lin.  This particular knife is for domeone eho might neglect it out of ignorance to the properties of carbon steel.  I knowi coukd buff it to a mirror polish but ijust dont like that much ad much even thoygh the compoundused helps deter this oxcidation.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
If it is likely to be negelected go with a stainless steel blade.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I usually use Breakfree CLP, but for stuff that might lie around for quite a while I've been trying Boshield. It's a non-drying coating developed by Boeing for aircraft. So far, it' been working great for me.

I have a Randall that gets handled by folks and I have purposely not wiped it down afterward. It's been about 4 months and no sign of fingerprints etching into it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Thanks bladepeek I will look into that. I don't think this blade will be neglected. I doubt it will ever be used. I think that when u give to him I will just instruct him on how to care for it. I have no experience with forging stainless and have never pleased with its performance so I will just give a simple set of care instructions.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
For knives that I keep I do expect that Lin.  This particular knife is for domeone eho might neglect it out of ignorance to the properties of carbon steel.  I knowi coukd buff it to a mirror polish but ijust dont like that much ad much even thoygh the compoundused helps deter this oxcidation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©