INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New idea for edge quenching/hamon I saw recently, anybody else tried this.  (Read 525 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Local Amish blacksmith here in KY I know, recently showed me some of his newest creations, one was a hawk fom railroad car spring, osage handle, wow was this neat. He had some nice hunters, 4-6 " blades with nice quench lines about 3/8 on them. He had a deep long pan, with a flat bar of steel in the bottom, covered in lard about 1/2 inch or so. He stated that he started at the tip and rolled it down the blade on the bar, and left it there till cool, similar to a samurai sword being quenched to pull the tip in a curve. Looked great, just wondering.
samuel koger

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
I have heard of a similar technique, MS Wayne Goddard uses, or did use, what he calls "Goop" to quench in.  A combination of "stuff", I don't remember exactly what it consists of.  

It apparently works!  Interesting!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
koger, if you try this be very careful as edge quenching can lead to some serious flashing and cause big flames.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
I watched Bob Engnath make some Japanese sword blades. (We lost quite an asset when he died. He did a lot to get beginners into the game with his semi-finished blades and his scrimshaw was a thing of beauty).

Bob had a HUGE gas fired oven outside his shop. His 1095 and 1084 swords went in straight with a clay edge wire-wrapped on. They went into the water quench completely. The thicker spine just naturally cooled slower than the thin edges and that produced the up-sweep of the blade.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©