INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lanyard tube help  (Read 563 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Lanyard tube help
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
I just put a handle on a full tang hunter and decided to put in a lanyard tube. This is the first time I've ever tried this and I ran into a few issues that I was hoping to get some help with.

I used African Blackwood for the scales and shaped them after they were epoxied/pinned. I epoxied in the tube and found as I shaped the handle, I was getting pretty rough edges on the tube. This continued towards the end when I decided to try and take a countersink on a drill press to it, which at least helped some. The sharp edges and burrs were all gone, but it was still slightly proud of the wood and didn't have that same finished look I've seen on others. The tube is 416 ss if that helps with any answers. So, what's your process and how do you get the tube looking and feeling right?

Thanks for any help.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lanyard tube help
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Jeremy,
        The obvious question is, what grit are you finishing to? Have you tried buffing the lanyard tube ends and resanding to your over all finish?

As for being too proud, it sounds like you may be using a soft backing stick where you should be using a hard backing, then lightly finish with a firm but not soft, not hard backing.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Doesn't sound like you had this problem, but you might run into it. I've found that stainless tubing sometimes causes the countersink to chatter, giving an uneven cut. I don't have a single-flute countersink, which would probably eliminate the problem, but if I use moderate down-pressure on the drill press and then rotate the chuck by hand, I usually get a nice, smooth champfer of the tube end. I also fill the tube with modeling clay before epoxying it in the handle. Makes it easy to clean up with no epoxy stuck inside the tube.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Yup, I think that might be my culprit. It was the first time I tried a sculpted handle and dished out the back half on a contact wheel. Fearing I'd go too far, I went to hand sanding after hogging out the main portion with a pretty rough grit. That would've left the big burrs and not using a stiff sanding block ended up leaving the tube proud....duh.

And thanks for the info on chattering, I'd heard from another guy that can be an issue. The clay is a great idea. I hadn't thought far enough ahead and realized quickly the tube got filled with epoxy and had to do some quick work with q-tips and acetone to make sure it remained a tube...

Thanks for your help-amazing how the answer can sometimes be staring you in the face and still miss it. With a little more attention to details, the one on my bench should turn out better than the first.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©