INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New anvil tools  (Read 485 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
New anvil tools
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I've been thinking about these for quite a while, just haven't gotten around to finishing them until today.  The materials I used to make them are pictured below-some scrap steel from an old farm implement at a scrap yard I got a while back and a BIG Allen wrench.

I always liked the idea of flatter hammers, especially when I first started and was just draw filing.  Nothing like trying to get through all those hammer dings I'd left behind.  But, flatter hammers seem to be a little hard to find, as well as expensive when you do.  The other draw back was I don't have a hold down or another set of hands to help hold stuff to use one.  Here's my version of a one person flatter. (Please ignore the painfully bad looking weld job...)

I wanted it to pivot so I could use it on material of different heights as well as swivel to accommodate angles.

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New anvil tools
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
And here's the other one.  I don't have a press yet and like to put together some low layer billets by hand.  I'm getting ready to do some tomahawks and was wanting something to help fuller the material out, not just the back end of my hammer.  This is based on the same principle-doesn't matter what height material I use, it pivots and will work on shorter or taller stuff.  

I rounded over the bottom pretty good, so hopefully will get the job done.

I know this isn't ideal and thought of trying to build a "Godzilla" type tool.  I could've made the top jaw of the Godzilla one adjustable to accommodate whatever size stock...for some reason I just didn't feel like it.  I'm fairly sure I'm just a bit too lazy to have to undo bolts and move it anytime I had a larger billet.  Also, this only fullers one side at a time, but I'm not too lazy to turn my material over and whack it again  :) .  Plus, I thought there may be some times where I just wanted to fuller one side.

Anywho, figured I'd share.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New anvil tools
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Jeremy, looks like some useful tools, and well made too!

I would find the flatter most useful.

You have a nice shop, lots of light and room.

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©