INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Disc Sander  (Read 725 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
New Disc Sander
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I can't take any credit for this idea at all-came from Bruce Bingenheimer.  I tend to be a bit "economical" (some have termed it "cheap"...) and this setup makes life for a guy like me way better.  Since getting to use Bruce's disc sander, I saw the REALLY great things I could do with it, and his way of doing things made it possible to use the same motor and VFD I already had, making it cost very little.  That, coupled with the space saving in an already crowded shop area is a winner. Sorry for the blurry cell photo...

I ordered a keyed shaft from MSC to replace the original that came with the KMG, just longer.  I got a disc and a friend helped me turn down one end of the shaft to fit the disc and mill in the keyway.  Figured a pillow block out on the end would be beneficial to help keep down any deflection on the shaft.  I still need to align and tighten everything down, shim up the pillow block and bolt it down, etc.  I also have plans to make a table that will go about half way across the disc (since you're only using the downhill side, anyway).  Oh, and I found and ordered the forward/stop/reverse switch for my KBAC27D, which works very well, too.  I picked up a roll of 1/16" thick cork gasket material from the auto supply store and will be using spray adhesive to permanently attach that to the disc.  Think I may cut a strip and try on a sanding stick, too...

Now I just need to cut out the portion of wall to the left of the disc so I can work material off that side and move my belts to a new location.  All in all, I can't wait to start using it  :) .

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Disc Sander
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
NICE... I really need a disc sander set up like that.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I think the shaft was $33 or so, pillow block $10, aluminum disc about $85. Add in a few bucks for spray glue, $6 for the gasket material, and pretty much ready to go. Definitely a chunk of change, but way cheaper than adding in another motor and VFD. If you get it set up, I know you'll like it  :) . I'd heard the good things about discs, but didn't fully appreciate it until I used one.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Great job Jeremy. I have never used one but I know of guys that swear by them. Mike Q., who makes incredibly clean knives especially daggers uses one and says his hand finish time is cut down to very little.

Keep us posted on how it works and how you like it.

Chris

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:15:00 AM »
Chris-

Funny you mention Mike. I had the privilege of going to dinner with him when I visited Bruce's shop, then we spent a little time on knife stuff that night. He makes great knives... As for the backer, he suggested thin rubber instead of the gasket material. I went with the cork stuff because that's what I could find easily. As for finishing, he's right-you can true up your flats unbelievably well and quickly up to whatever grit you want. Then, just a bit of hand sanding to get all the lines going the right direction. Fantastic tool-use one and you'll see  ;) .

Jeremy
- William Morris

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
I keep telling myself, I need to learn how to use my disc sander.  I even have a KMG disc    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
I have a separate disk sander, but what I REALLY like about this setup is the variable speed capability. I'm going to have to bite the bullet eventually and get one for my Burr King belt grinder, but this arrangement gives you double the bang for your variable speed buck.

By the way, I love my Burr King, but the down side is the drive wheel is also the contact wheel, the bigger the wheel, the faster and deeper the mistakes   :(  

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©