INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New 2500 pound shop baby.  (Read 981 times)

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
New 2500 pound shop baby.
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Well as many of you know power hammers are a bit addicting. I enjoy the "hunt" for good ones.  Was recently talked out of my Little Giant #50,  so I ramped the search up for another shop hammer.  Found this 75# (B) Fairbanks that was at a decent price, and close by (3 hours in the world of hammers is "close").  

This one was made in the 20's from the limited info. I can gather.  Has a United marked frame, and I think they (United) purchased Fairbanks in 1918.  Long story short the hammer has been under a tarp since the 80's, and doesn't look like it was used much or hard during its life.  Everything is "free" yet fairly tight.  

Have a 5hp 1150rpm motor that will power the hammer. Im hoping a 4" fiber pulley will grab enough belt to run efficiently.  Also have to fab. a treadle and treadle bar, shouldn't be too hard, although I see no tabs etc. for the treadle to attach.

Spring will need to be addressed too, the one in it is too short.  Ive had more then 1 person tell me a 50 LG spring will work.... we will see.

a few quick pics-

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New 2500 pound shop baby.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Oh man am I jealous! My motto is a man can't have too many "Toys". Found a nice 100# LG worth the money but just choke down the price they want to get it hauled 1500 miles. Great find Matt!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
What are you going to do with such a tiny little hammer?!  Nice score!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I got lucky with this one, it was close as far as hammers go!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I bet I'll soon hear a loud thumping from the East.   :)
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Very nice Matt. That will move some steel. I want to see video of it up and running if possible.

Chris

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Blasted it off at the car wash while I still had it on the trailer. Got a lot of the old loose paint off, the rest I will wire wheel.  Will then coat with curox or another such converter, then paint.

This hammer was not used hardly at all, which is really rare for a Fairbanks as they were Industrial hammers and most got used really hard. Judging by the dies it was set up for 1 specific use.  They are huge flat dies with a single V groove in the bottom die.  

Any how, have to figure out how to attach a treadle, as there is no bracket or anything.  Not a big issue, but will take some thought.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
made a little progress today,  got all the moving stuff (except the shaft/crank/brake) taken apart for inspection/cleaning/paint.  I was pleasantly surprised to see virtually no wear on the toggle link/toggle arm pins.

Also found it interesting the ram weighs 94#, as this is a 75# hammer.  A lot of the industrial hammer makers back then had a "heavy ram" option.  Some also just put heavier rams in intentionally to show how "hard" there hammers hit for the weight.  Kind of like a bower marking his bows a few lbs. lighter then actual weight to show how "fast" they are.

A few quick pics,  as you can see a lot of the old crusty paint blasted off.  Will still wire wheel or bead blast everything before paint.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Great find Matt.

I don't think I have ever seen a Fairbanks Hammer, looks to be robust and very serious!

That should give your arm joints some releif!

Steve
------------
Potomac Forge
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Steve, thanks!  Yes the Fairbanks hammers were Industrial hammers on par with Bradleys, Beaudrys etc.  They were very well made and as I found out taking this one apart they had very tight tolerances.

Ive got to do some re-arranging in the shop (which needed to happen anyway), so I can cut a square hole in the floor for the base.  Going to sit this hammer on a 3 ft. thick base, maybe 4 depending on how the digging goes!  They may sound like overkill but its rather important to have a good foundation/mass under the hammer.  

Have an old 5hp hi torque 1150 rpm motor at the shop getting checked out.  If its good im going to use it to power the hammer, will run right at 353 bpm with a 4" pulley.  Hopefully the 4" fiber pulley gives me enough "purchase" on the flat belt...we will see.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Outstanding.  Congrats!

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
have to get that die block out, which is always tough on these old hammers.  I can get the key to move up/down a bit, but not "out" yet.  Maybe today.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©