INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Help with ID-old fixed blade knife  (Read 472 times)

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with ID-old fixed blade knife
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
I just picked up an older fixed blade knife.length is about 12"--wood handle--Made by HOWARD Cutlery--Germany.....In the middle of the blade is stamped--Looks like GESEZLACH-GESCHUTZT-PRUSSIA.....there ARE 2 LARGE Xs BOTH SIDES OF THIS STAMP WITH X-L-N-T STAMPED AROUND IT.I just thought someone here may have some knowledge on this.If you E-mail me I can send pictures.Haven't figured this site out yet.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with ID-old fixed blade knife
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Rick, take another look at the spelling on that blade. I think it probably reads "GESETZLICH GESCHUTZT",(with the "U" an umlaut with the two horizontal dots above it) meaning"PROTECTED BY LAW" refering to trademark protection.

The kingdom of Prussia became the most powerful of the German States and lasted until 1918 when it became part of unified Germany, so it appears that may be a very old one. I'm not a historian, so that may not be a valid theory, but it's my SWAG (an engineering term which stands for scientific, wilda$$ed guess)

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with ID-old fixed blade knife
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Ron.You got it on the head..Right down to the 2 dots above th U..It also has 2 Xs on both sides of the stamp with XLNT stamped around it.Slow but sure we are getting there.If you find any history on the Howard Co. Germany I would love to read up on it.Thanks again...Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©