3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm Pumped! - Finished Bow Pics Now  (Read 11334 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Pumped! - Finished Bow Pics Now
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Here I am in the process of taking the limbs and riser sides to the layout lines with a blockplane. Well, that and driving splinters into my fingers and blockplaning my finger - untill I got my methods smoothed out (Mike did that with a fungo bat to the back of my head  ;) )

Then it was time to shape the handle some and cut in the window and shelf. Mostly files  (and a hacksaw and coping saw for the window):

Next post.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
It was time to take a first look at a first longstring tiller. Mike had already showed me a couple floor tillers and we checked that out some. He said the first longstring on the Tillering Tree looks pretty good for this early on. He also showed me where the top (right) limb is a little faster but says that may not turn out to be all that bad. We'll see how it goes.

The end for this day (after driving back to Mikes to retrieve my camera  - that I had left at his shop - so I could post these pics tonight) was my "Homework assignment" - glueing the Bloodwood Nock Overlays on the limb tips - piece 'a cake - LOL. "Rose, come get my sweatshirt unglued from this clamp, will you, pu-leese?"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Wondering if Texas Slim, will influence the grip?

:wavey:  

You have more fun than a barrel of monkeys  :archer:  

We'll be watching...
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
Lookin good Bern. More ways to make wood chips than throwin hawks and knives huh?   :bigsmyl:
High on Archery.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
Way to go Bernie! I like the shop glove on you left hand, a mix of Mad Max and Michael Jackson. I bet that ACS stays in your possesion, just gets a little less work out. There is something special about how an arrow flies from a bow you make yourself.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
It may at that, Mac. Mike gave me some pointers and then had me griping it and filing for comfort with my grip - and I certainly like both "Texas Slim" and "Someone Special's" grips. It's feeling pretty good so far, I think. A lot of finish work between now and "done" though - LOL

That means a lot, Crooked Stic, it really does. Yeah, I flat put some shavings and wood dust all over Mike's clean shop. Thanks to you too, Shaun, I know it is going to be a thrill for me. In case it didn't come across in last night's late post - I really am pleased (and thankful) with/for the progress, looks, and things learned so far. Mike's a good teacher and shope-mate.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Yep!! I think ol Bern looks more like Mad Max, not enough hair for Mikey Jackson  :bigsmyl:  

Nice work older Brother, bows made with hand tools are not for the weak minded huh?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Be careful Burnie, I got so excited about building bows that I had to have a heart valve put in to keep up with the excitment!! LOL.
  I know you will have a great time with your new toy. Enjoy!!

Chort

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
I love the bow and the experience already and you guys just make it all the better.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
bernie, you no as soon as kathy hears that you are a bow builder she will have you do a bow bilding storie for her news letter. by the way your bow looks good. and i will tell her you will have her a storie for the spring news letter.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
HA-ha That would be OK, Lonnie. I'll try to see if I can do one up - a little shorter winded than I usually am   ;)  . BTW was the annual form for the newsletter and renewal left out of the recent mailing by accident - or was it just left out of mine -   :D  ?

While I have some members attention, please let me take a moment to tell you that in the very near future (within days I hope) I will be upgrading my system to WinXP. Just in case things run awry   :eek:   (as they sometimes do) you will know what is up if I am off line for awhile   :(   . Thanks. Hopefully I'll be back in jig time, and in better shape, computerwise   :D  .

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Win XP safely compleated tonight - so far, so good. Didn't get much rest from me, did you?   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
Bernie,Bernie,Bernie, Don't you know by now after watching so many get suduced. BUILDING BOWS IS ADDICTIVE !!! Well by now your already ruined and you might as well give in and admitt the adiction. LOL
  I couldn't be more happy for ya Bernie. Just a word of caution, when you get to that stage finishing that first self bow you might as well give up your car keys, cause you'll be looking at every tree that is along the road.
 look forward to seeing more pics, Its looking great so far.   Keenan
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
Lookin good Bernie.Ya keep this up and you'll be wondering where all your spare time went.  :thumbsup:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
The Dino Man is a life time member. NO DUES its the least we can do for all you do for us.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Bless your heart Lonnie - and all the other fine members - I love doing it for TBSWV, ATAR and The Kids, and wish I could do more.

Good info and kind words Keenan, and from a man/bowyer who knows from personal experience - and also from you, Linc, ol' friend.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
OK - got my puter updated(to XP), and pretty well squared away, so back to the fun of my first bow. Did a little work at home that Mike and I had discussed I could do, if I wanted to try to fly solo a bit - I did; After gluing the nock overlays on they of corse are sticking over the sides. I decided to use a Block Plane to take them down and that is what I'll show now. I also rounded the limbs some more with the plane, and shaped the handle further with a 4 in hand file.

The first pic is a little fuzzy (got to close) but shows one edge of the Bloodwood sticking out beyond the limb tip edge:

The next one shows one side planed down:

The last one shows both sides planed down and rounded a little. Are we having fun? You betcha bippy! No feathering-in is attempted yet:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Next step? More boring shaping (that I find relaxing and somehow therapeautic) -   :rolleyes:    :archer:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Since we were talking about "Feathering in" the Overlays I thought I'd show my initial progress with that before I go back to Mike's today for a little tillering and more directions. This progress was made with plane, file , and sanding - you can also perhaps see I've begun to round the Hickory edges now. I think it went pretty well for firsties - LOL.
No sun yet so I took one pic with no light (close-ups) and the second with the overhead light on - explains the color difference, 2nd is pretty true. Those faint marks you see below the Overlays are pencil placement marks - I (now) remember my shop teach saying, "If you put pencil marks on wood where they can be seen, they may still be seen after a lot of trying to get rid of them." Oh sure, NOW I remember!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
nice job Bernie! real nice...but man, wear a do-dag er sumethin'...the glare from that flash on yer dome is hurtin' my retinas!  ;)    :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  
I'm gettin' the itch to try a glue up myself, maybe after turkey season. They are calling for the hottest driest summer on record this year; might be a good time to try one!
Keep it up!
BD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©