3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm Pumped! - Finished Bow Pics Now  (Read 11331 times)

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Pumped! - Finished Bow Pics Now
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Man, I can't wait until this one is done. It's getting me fired up to try one.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Getting close, folks, we accomplished a lot yesterday (and it looks done, except for final checks, more sanding, and finishing - after I "shoot it in" for awhile first). I'm fixing to upload pics now and I'll be back later this AM to post them.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Here we go - I never expected to accomplish so much progress today, and I certainly never expected to get to the very desirable point of shooting my first self-made lam bow this soon - Now I'm really pumped - LOL.

First, after looking over my progress at home (and being quite complimentary, I might add), Mike showed me an idea he had for shaping his tips, on one of mine - and I lliked the looks of it. (I have some finish work to do there still.)

After scrapping a little more bulk off the sides of the riser, re-rounding edge, shaping other tip, and cutting nock string grooves - we took our first morning tiller look:

Looking good but upper limb (right one) seems to move a little stiff now, so needs some scraping:

Yep, that's a K-Bar "scraper" - what else would a retired Marine use ? - LOL. Actually it belongs to "The Corpsman" and is Mike's Favorite scrapper. I like it too - gotta replace the one I gave away to an old hunting buddy!

More in next post -

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
hey Bernie!  is that a "dino stic" selfbow you have there? it sure is lookin' good whatever you call it.   :archer:   and' you sure look like you're having fun.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
LOL - It just dawned on me last night that I don't have a name for it yet - perhaps it will come during the shoot-in period.

Another Tiller look, and my bow is now looking very symetrical, and both Mike and I are very pleased:

Then, much to my shock, it's time to shoot/exercise the bow. I found out pretty quick it needs quite a cant (with me shooting anyway) but that it is quite quik (surprised us both), quiet, and smooth:

I also found the scraping I'd done on the riser left a corner that was biting into my thumb base - I also found (from the pics) that I was using pertty consistent form (they are separate pictures) - gee think I'll lift that Full Draw pic for my pages  :

Time to take the bite back out of that handle and make it sweet shooting:

More in next post -

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
Close up of Picking the Cherry(wood):

We shot some more and found it very nice to shoot, all around (I even let Mike shoot a couple'a arras  ). Then back for one last look at the tiller, after pretty good exercising of the bow:

Final look for today and it's now 44# @ 27" (I'll loose about a pound or two in Final sanding and shaping, Mike says):

Hopefully next pics will be "window dressing" - and/or a couple of "shooting in" pics perhaps. Hope you are still liking it as much as I am. Thanks for looking.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Buddy I have to say I enjoyed this one!!! very nice!!!!!!Now Im pumped !!!!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Bernie how cool is that?  Great looking job, wlecome to the world of making arrows fly from a bow you created....be careful though, it can be an addicting thing.....  :archer:    :clapper:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
She looks great Bernie, I am happy for ya. Mike dun good teachin ya.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Y'all did a Fine Job!! Do you have a "Thumb Shelf" on your Handle Bernie? I am Stuck with a High Wrist  :(  , and was considering "Trying" the Shelf as a Positive Locator for my Grip.  :thumbsup:  
  Your Bow Looks Great!! Thanks for the Pics and the Updates, and Thanks to Mike, Yer "Partner in Crime"!! It  REALLY  makes me want to Tear into My Dryad Glue-Up!  BUT.... , I dont have  ALL  the Tools I need just yet, so Patience is Killin' Me!!  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I appreciate the comments, guys. I agree, Dano. Mike is a very knowlegeable bowyer of wood bows and is able to impart it to those who wish to listen. BTW Mike's Grandfather taught him and then he added to it with reading and doing later in his life - and still is. His help meant a great deal to me - his friendship means even more. I mean, how many Marines have their own attendant Corpsman for their old age -   :biglaugh:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Kinda helps having a Corpsman around when your working with sharp tools too,huh Bern.  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  That too, Dano!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Mike Brooks sent me this pic with the "plotted tiller" on it this afternoon and, since it interested me, i thought some other folks might like to eyeball it too:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Yep, looks like it's time to think about finish. Right limb is the upper limb, right?? I vote for Tru-oil for a finish.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
I was thinking Tru-oil, Dano (I like it) but I may defer to Mike's advice on this one. He told me he likes to use a Poly finish on Hickory, to make sure it doesn't suck up moisture. He likes and uses Tru-oil a lot too. Yes, Right is Upper.

I served my string today and put string nock points on - also did a little more shaping (on tips and handle) and sanding. I'll keep working on that as I shoot it in, to be ready for finish. Trying not to get overanxious but i am dying to see those colors and grain under finish - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Can't argue with Mike's advice, I forgot about the hickory backing. Take your time, we are the overanxious ones.   ;)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Yeah, I think the Beefwood (and cherry and blood woods) would look great with just about any kind of "oil" finish - Tru-oil, Tung Oil, or even waxes like parrafin finish, etc. - but then whuddaino? LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
A little update. Last weekend Mike and his wife were under the weather. They weren't feeling well and I try to steer clear of cold/flu germs when I can, so we didn't get to do the final tiller check and shaping. I did do a little more "safe" sanding during the week. We are set to do it this weekend, if all goes well. Then (hopefully) I'll be able to start applying the finish coats during next week - pictures at .......    :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Go get em' Bernie!

I'm right behind you about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm studying hard and setting up my shop right now. I can't wait to get started myself! i'm going to try my luck solo on my first one.  :scared:  I've built spiral staircases out of teak. How hard can it be????? With my luck my first bow will come out with a 150 lb draw weight  :bigsmyl:  Lets hope not.....It should be a great adventure in craftsmanship.....I have the utmost respect for you bowyers out there....Right up there with building a violin guys!  Good luck to you Bernie. i hope you enjoy the experience....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©