INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: NESM  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Track

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NESM
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Nice work, I like the blade design and contours of the handle. Great walk through too.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Great looking knife - from the side and the top and it will look even better with some blood on it. Really good job of forging to near finished shape. I can see why you got good reviews.

Just an aside on belt grinders (and I have a hunch some of the more experienced makers will agree).

I bought a Burr King many years ago and they haven't changed much in the meantime. Nice, clean design, positive tracking, easy adjustment. Trouble is, it seems a bit limited in versatility. I have an 8" contact wheel that I can replace with a 5" - 2" wheel setup with a flat platen I can use between the wheels. If I change the idler wheel, I can also put on a 10" contact wheel. I can not control the speed without changing the speed of the motor the way Matt can on his exposed pulley drive system. I look at mine and then at Matt's and at that TW-90 you used in the class and there is just no comparison. It's really simple to switch to a small wheel attachment and I would guess you could even use 60" and 72" belts just by adjusting the bar. I watched the TW-90 surface grinder operation on You Tube. Nice!

I love my Burr King and it has served me well, but if I had it all to do over again......
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Thadbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys!
  I would like to say that this 1 week class taught me more than I have read in the last few years.  I wish I wouldn't of waited so long to do it!  NESM is a great place for a beginner like myself all the way up to somebody wanting to take their JS test or even MS test!  With it being one of only three ABS affiliated schools in the world,  I knew I picked the right place.  It was really cool to look at the names of the teachers that have been there in the past.  Burt Foster, Joe Keesler, and many more. When I saw Lin Rhea's name I Told Nick That although I never met him, I did go to him for advice just like most others on tradgang and I feel like I have know him for years. He agreed that Lin was born to teach and they really enjoy having him at the school. I told Nick if they could ever get Lin to come up and teach the 2 week ABS JS seminar, I would consider making the 9 hr drive again!  He said....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©