3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pheasants with the bow.  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
Pheasants with the bow.
« on: December 30, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
Who has been lucky enuf to hunt pheasants with a bow? This is somthing I have always wanted to do but just havent had the time. I have been out to ND twice but never with the bow. Next time I get out there I will have it for sure. If I look back out of the 2 one week trips out there I can only remember maybe 5 birds that offered goog bow shoots.  

I was just wondering if anyone had any good stories, tips, pics, ......... anything. I am stuck here at work and just need some help passing the time.

Anyone get one out of the air, if so you are to cool for words.

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pheasants with the bow.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
If you have a game farm nearby they can be purchased and "dizzied" then "planted". Come back a couple hours later with a dog and "hunt'em up"
We used to do this when I trained retrievers so the dogs could experience the flush and shot, when you buy them ask what they have been feeding them so you will get some good eating..I'm stuck at work too, only 11 hrs and 47 minutes to go !!
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Pheasants on the wing are one of my favorite hunts...... I used hunt them quite a bit when I lived in OR.... They have a rhythm when they take off and when you catch on to it you can be deadly on them..... I always picked the tip of their beak as my spot and usually hit mid body when I connected..... Good Luck...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
Well, first you gotta be smart enuf to see 'em! Yesterday, while bunny hunting with my pal Milt, I spotted a big lone clump of rabbitbrush on an elevated point and thot, There must be a bunny in there! And there was. The bunny took off to my left and I winged a harmless one after him. Later, Milt -- who'd seen it from below but too far off for a shot himself -- asked if I'd got a shot at a rootster pheasant. I said, "huh?" Seems that while the bunny was jetting off to my left, a ringneck was winging straight out from the hill to my right, "a gimmee shot," Milt said. I hadn't even seen or heard him. All best to you, opitimistic one! In my life I've rarely killted a pheasant with a 12-bore, much less a longbow. But I tell ya, I sure would have happily "wasted" an arrow on that one yesterday, had I been quick enough to try. Have fun.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
That would be dream hunt for me...!  :wavey:    :jumper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
Here in western NY a game farm is the only way to go, because of the lack of native birds. Back in the 70's they went on the decline and are now very rare. The state does release some but the areas are overcome with hunters on the first day. I have been to a few game farms with a shotgun but it can get expensive. Out west would be the place to go.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
It is fun.  Best with pointing dogs so you can kinda get ready for the flush.  I suggest you practice on aerial targets a bit, both to get used to a moving target and also so you get used to the speed of the activity...you need to get er done and there is not a lot of time.  So far, I am Chuck 0, pheasants 10, but some day that will change.
ChuckC

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
A pheasant was my first traditional kill a few years back.  Shot it in the air right up through the butt as it took off...ouch.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
My wife and I were lucky enough to hunt them with Fred Eichler and his wonderful wife Michelle last year, It was amazing to watch him shoot a rooster right out of the sky:-)
It is a blast, take plenty of arrows you don't mind losing:-)

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks for helping pass the time, I am realy going to push for a ND hunt next year. It wont be to hard to talk the old man into it.

Only an hour left, and I am free. Will be heading out in the am for some grouse hunting.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
Yea, I wish I only had an hour to go  LOL, 6 hrs and 23 min for me .... :-(

Good luck and post some pics of the thunder chikkens....
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
I would do better if they didn't have wings.  :bigsmyl:  
Chort

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
I will say this. Here in NY if ya apply and recieve a gamebreeders permit ya can purchase birds for $8-$10 a piece. Ya can do as SK mentioned above and have a blast. My Dad still has a GB permit and we release quite afew birds each year. I have only hunted them with a bow once. I was 0 for 10 but had a great time. One guy I hunted with was 5 for 7 on birds. We hunted over a pointer and he said which is true, most times the bird rises and hits  point where it almost hesitates as it levels off in flight. Stone Knife, we have to gewt together next year and shoot some birds. I know ya will be at my bunny hunt, we will talk than. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
Here in Iowa we have some birds and I think I am close to 1 for 131 shots. At least it seems that way. It is a hoot. The one I shot wore me plumb out chasing it down. Thanks to Ann (my Beagle) she helped me and then looked at me like I had lost it.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »
I have developed a personal target thrower for this very reason, pheasant hunting and jump shooting ducks of the ditch banks. It took some practice but now it is as natural as stump shooting.   :bigsmyl:    

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
A nerf football works weel for a practice bird.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Ive always wanted to bowhunt pheasants. Ive got bird dogs.German wirehaired pointers. But I dont want my dog grabing a mouthful of broadhead on a reterive. Would a blunt work? Their a pretty tough bird

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Blunts work great on grouse (we called em crazy chickens in Idaho) don't know on pheasants. Might just make em mad :-)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Wingshooter
    Where are you in Nevada....
And do you have a lot of Rabbits there....
    I'm over in Modesto CA.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Mike, I am in Las Vegas. There are a few Jacks around here made up of rawhide and hickory. I understand there are a lot down by searchlite but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©